bigcr

May 16, 2000
I just purchased an '02kx500 and want to modernize it a bit. I understand that the rear fender from an early '90's KX250 fender will fit with some minor modifications. Does anyone know exactly what year will work? Any other suggestions?

RCJ81

Jun 2, 2000
I have heard that a UFO brand from 93 kx250 will fit with a bit of trimming. Try asking at www.pitbullracing.com - a kx website. They would probably know. How do you like the 500? Am thinking of getting one but hear good and bad opinions on it. Thanks.

Hogwylde

Aug 1, 2001
Originally posted by RCJ81
I have heard that a UFO brand from 93 kx250 will fit with a bit of trimming. Try asking at www.pitbullracing.com - a kx website. They would probably know. How do you like the 500? Am thinking of getting one but hear good and bad opinions on it. Thanks.

The 93 250 fender fits with a little trimming on the silencer side for some clearance and new holes drilled in the fender at the back of the subframe mounting points. It looks cool, I've got one on mine.

Good and bad opinions are out there for ANY bike. The KX5 isn't as modern as others, but that's a good thing as far as finding parts for older bikes (down to 88 or so). It has a BOATLOAD of power. You have to learn how to use it. Anyone that says they have too much power doesn't have any throttle control! With more power on tap, you can short shift the bike and generally run in a taller gear while smaller bikes are screaming and all wound out to get thru the same soup/hill/sandy area. There are a few trouble area.....they tend to eat rear tires FAST, they vibrate a little more than some people like and like to lose bolts if you don't check them frequently, the top pipe mount above the cylinder head tends to break off, if you jump the bike lots, it will crack/break the upper subframe mounts off the frame under the front of the seat, it tends to loft the front wheel with the application of max power in all 5 gears!!

I love my KX5. I run D-15 harescrambles with it and I'm out there 4-stroking it while the 125-250 guys are revving there motors to the moon. And, when the terrain opens up, there's nothing that can keep up with ya when you're on the pipe in 5th gear!!

Top Bottom