Jul 19, 2004
Hello,
I remember reading a dirtbike magazine a while back, and I saw a kx500 mod that gave you new style plastics. (i.e. every newer kx aside from the 60 and 500) The kit also made it so the pipe wasnt bent oddly. I think destry abbott runs something like this, so the kx500 doesnt look like a dinosaur. If anyone knows about the kit any help would be appreciated.

thanks

:yeehaw:

Hick

Aug 15, 2000
Sounds like you are talking about the Ty Davis tank/pipe/shrouds kit. The expansion chamber is low like a modern 250 and the 3+ gal gas tank extends down where the pipe would normally be.

Link:

Zip Ty Racing KX Kit

Hope this helps.

Rider 007

Feb 10, 2000
There was also a kit available that consisted of a different subframe, pipe, etc. I don't remember everything that was in it, but it was a couple of grand and converted the 500 to a much slimmer bike with 250 looks.
I can't remember who the source was; perhaps someone else has that info.

UNCLEBOB

Jul 6, 2004
hi there, don't try the 93 kx250 rear guard its not worth it,if you manage to bolt it in, the gaps where dirt can get to the air box are massive.

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
I've got the Zip Ty scenario and a black 93 rear fender. Makes the bike much more worthwhile looking at, but the pipe isn't as good as the 'oddly bent' one. ;)

Jul 19, 2004
thanks for the replies. I am kind of off of the kx500 kick, now onto 250s :) I am a total gearhead, and the jump from kx100 to 500 would be fun, but a big difference :eek: :aj: It is not out of the question though :cool: Nephron, what do you think of yours if you could compare it to a 250 two stroke?

500cc

Jun 6, 2003
I think the mod you might be thinking of was made by Rocket Science Racing. It's the one with a completly new rear end, pipe, tank, airbox, seat, and 250 plastics. I believe the kit was about $3000. I got to see one at the Gorman WORCS race back in 2002 and have to say it looked like monster garage type work. No where near what Service Honda does with the AF conversion. I'm also thinking the company isn't making anymore kits.

The Zipty pip/tank kit is good. I've heard good and bad though. FMF no longer makes the lowboy pipe so you have to use the Zipty Flow pipe which isn't bad but dents REALLY easy from what I've been told and seen. Destry Abbott no longer runs the Zipty setup because he's sponsored by FMF.

I'm more of a traditionalist. I like the looks of the old rear fender. The 93 fender on there just doesn't look nice. Dave Chase at Pro Circuit put together a KX500 with a 250 rear end on it with a carbon fiber tank back in 99 or 00 and it looked sweet! They said it was too expensive to do and didn't put it in production.

Hick

Aug 15, 2000
500cc said:
I think the mod you might be thinking of was made by Rocket Science Racing. It's the one with a completly new rear end, pipe, tank, airbox, seat, and 250 plastics. I believe the kit was about $3000.

Totally different frame also, AFAIK. The 500 head stay is facing the opposite way vs. all the 250s. Rocket Science used a tubular chromoly perimeter frame that made use of KX5 motor and suspension.

I'm more of a traditionalist. I like the looks of the old rear fender. The 93 fender on there just doesn't look nice.

Ditto. The newer fender looks out of place on that bike.

Hick

Aug 15, 2000
thescooterstore said:
Nephron, what do you think of yours if you could compare it to a 250 two stroke?

Kind of an extreme comparison. The KX5 has two totally different attributes: It handles nothing like any 250, and of course the motor is nothing like any 250.

The ergos and geometry are straight out of 1985. This just so happens to translate in a stable off-road chassis, coincidence or not. The KX5 also has a pretty wide gearbox, the huge output and broad spread of power belies this, but a stock KX5 is only going to be a few sprocket teeth shy of 100 mph.

I had a '95 KX 250, and bought a '99 KX5. They were both green...

Hope this helps.

500cc

Jun 6, 2003
Your right. I forgot that the RocketScienceRacing has a different frame. I only saw them painted white. :ohmy: Gun metal gray would have looked really nice.

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
thescooterstore said:
thanks for the replies. I am kind of off of the kx500 kick, now onto 250s :) I am a total gearhead, and the jump from kx100 to 500 would be fun, but a big difference :eek: :aj: It is not out of the question though :cool: Nephron, what do you think of yours if you could compare it to a 250 two stroke?

I'd recommend against it. I went from a KX80 to a KX500 and it was manageable but it's a huge jump. I learned a lot of bad riding habits and skipped a lot of steps that would have been required from moving up to a 125 first. I think I'd be a much better rider today if I had ridden a 125 for a while, then moved up.

As for comparing it to the KX250, that was my next bike after the KX500. The 250 is worlds better in all aspects except for sheer brute horsepower.

I'd love to own another 500 but not as my only bike. It does not like to be ridden agressively and will really make you pay when you get tired in a race. It doesn't take long to get tired in a race when you're racing a 500, either. I'm not a good rider but I like to be able to throw the bike around and when you try to throw a 500 around, it throws you off. :bang:

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
Nephron, what do you think of yours if you could compare it to a 250 two stroke?

I think Camstyn and others answered it well. You CAN race these god for lovin' things if you want to (all the experts today will tell you how unmanagable these bikes are, while 12 years ago LaRocco won the outdoor open MX title on one, lol), but in all likelihood, you won't be able to. Simple enough. Even Ward wouldn't go back to one, with today's bikes. This bike is for people that enjoy scaring themselves, getting tired at a 1/2 lap, and in general....for those that want the best playbike period.

I'll be getting another bike soon, no doubt, because I just can't last long enough on an MX track. But, I will never sell this bike. The dog, cat, youngest child first. Not this bike.

FMF no longer makes the lowboy pipe so you have to use the Zipty Flow pipe which isn't bad but dents REALLY easy from what I've been told and seen. Destry Abbott no longer runs the Zipty setup because he's sponsored by FMF.

Actually, Zipty's pipe is a Noleen, looks like cast iron, bends like cast iron (none), and has none of the brittleness of cast iron. You find one with a dent, and I'll pay. I've slid mine down a road on the right side, landed on the pipe from a jump. Spotless. (Yeah, I'm not too 'good' 'a rider :eek: )

500cc

Jun 6, 2003
Ops, your right. I forgot about the Noleen Zipty pipe. That' weird about the sturdyness of the Noleen. I was under the impression from others that it was not as strong. Oh well. Lot's of good info.

Top Bottom