XgoodyX

Mar 10, 2004
OK I have read the post about duplicates and also read a stack of info about this subject from searching. alot are very similar to my issue....however!

My lads 91 KX60 is bogging when going from standstill to 1/2 throttle, after about half an hour. otherwise it runs pretty well. recently I have:

checked the electrics correct
the stator / timing correct
I have replaced the clutch - which works a treat
checked the cylinder and piston rings - changed rings
top end compression is up at 160 psi
new collant pump seal, coolant is circulating around head.
float height checked correct.
read valaves checked correct.
new exhaust packing
new air filter
new plug.

The carb needles are:
main jet 200
jet needle 5L14 clip at position 3
Needle jet N8
pilot jet No. 30
slide cutaway No. 2

which are standard settings

I have given it a 1/4 - 1/2 throttle test and the plug is light tan colour. So thats OK

I have noticed (no expert) but the cylinder and head seem to be very warm, when it starts bogging.

because I have checked everything else that could be making it hot I have taken the last one to be the casue which is the jetting.

I believe that it is running a little lean. hench the heat and the bogging.

I dropped the needle one clip and tried that - seemed a lot better and did not bog. however it didn't sound right (again no expert) before it sounded a good tone when accelerating. once changed it seemed a bit rattley and always like it should be in the next gear. the exhaust smoke was a little more predominant as well.

hoping no one has fallen asleep I have at last got to my questions

1. if I change my needle jet to an N-6 will this richen my mixture by half a clip position? (changing the clip position seems to be a little too much on the setup I have at present)

2. or is it the pilot Jet? becuase it usually happens on the pull away or accelerating out of a turn. what would effect would changing this to a 35 be?

3. Could I change my oil fuel ratio from 30:1 to 25:1 to slighly richen the jetting?

I hope you all have enough information to go on...and thanks in advance.

250JackHammer

May 11, 2001
I had the same thing happen to mine. It was 2000 KX65. After the bike was warm, when coming out of a corner it would fall flat on it's face. I tryed everthing you did and then some. I even got the factory jetting specs from kaw, no luck. The dealer even put a new cylender on it. Same problem. I wish you well.
I thought it was to dangerous for my son so I got him a 65. Never had the problem with the 65.

elf

Jun 7, 2003
You did not mention where your air screw was at. Turning it clockwise will richen up your jetting at 0 to1\3 throttle. With the right pilot jet it should run good between 1 and 2 turns out. if you need to turn it less than one turn out then you can go to a larger pilot. And yes a 35 is bigger.

XgoodyX

Mar 10, 2004
The carb on this bike is an older style mikuni and does not have an air screw. I will try a larger pilot and reply to this post with outcome.

Top Bottom