jasowiii

Nov 16, 2003
My boy's 96 KX60 has a pretty stiff clutch. I ride a WR400 and it seems to be easier to pull it's clutch.
I lubed the cable with a good silicone oil, pit on a better fitting "dogleg" type lever and it still seems awful stiff. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Jimmy

jasowiii

Nov 16, 2003
I think the cable is good (could be wrong). I wonder if the KX60 clutch tends to be stiff or not?
I think it might have something to do with the position of the lever at the bottom that attaches to the shaft that goes through the case. It starts a little past center and finishes way past center. I would think it should start before center and finish near or slightly after center. The problem is it is welded to the shaft. I plan to pull the rightside case and re-engage the shaft one tooth further out??? How knows...

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
You might want to find a stock perch and lever setup also to make sure the previous owner didn't swap out the stocker for a cheap ill fitting replacement setup which affected the leverage.

Eiswald

Aug 13, 2002
I also have a KX60 that my son used to ride and the clutch is real stiff, We up graded to a KX65 and the clutch is way easier to pull. I have changed the cable out and that did not help a bit. At one time when my son was learning how to use the clutch I wondered why he didn't use it much untill I worked it a few times and it was just plain hard. I have keeped the bike for my younger son because they are such good bikes but I would like to fix it. I wonder if the basket is notched because it is not the lever or the cable!

Martin Cole

Oct 12, 2003
A new cable may be answer. I've spent hours oiling cables for little improvement - so it could just be that. Also, if the previous owner has lost the spacer that fits between the cltch and the actuator, it sets the arm further round than it should be and decreases the leverage - making it harder to pull. KX60 clutch baskets also tend to notch-up fairly quickly. The best course of action is to replace the basket and plates, maybe even the centre if that is notched too. If you don't mind a little tedious work, both the basket and the centre drum can be filed a bit to ease the action. Don't repeat this process too often though as it tends to create too much movement for the plates when the clutch is dropped home. The edges of the plate then slap the faces pretty hard and increase the wear rate substantially. A lot of harsh clutch use could then result in cracked plates. I've never seen this yet on a KX60, probably because the clutch runs in oil, but I have seen on TZ350 Yamahas when I raced on tarmac circuits back in the 70s/80s. These clutches were exposed and ran dry!

jasowiii

Nov 16, 2003
<<<Also, if the previous owner has lost the spacer that fits between the cltch and the actuator, it sets the arm further round than it should be and decreases the leverage - making it harder to pull.>>>

I think you are right Martin. It also seems to stall if my boy doesn't rev it up when he pulls the clutch in, so I'll bet the basket is grooved also.

Jim

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom