KX60 coolant in oil !

TR

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 17, 2000
From the clutch side side window I have detected coolant in the oil. Removed the radiator cap and some oil is visible at the surface. The engine runs fine and the spark plug show no signs of contamination. If one is to guess as the source of the leak, where is it most likely to be ?
The bike is a 2000 model KX 60.

thanks in advance,

viking20

Sponsoring Member
Aug 11, 2002
From our kx 60 days I remember the leak from the water pump shaft into the gearbox.When riding in cold,damp weather I remember the oil looked to contain water when looking through the "window".This turned out to be normal,when the engine was hot,the gear oil looked normal again.If in doubt,drain the oil and measure how much you get out.If the bike produces gear oil,and loses coolant,theres not much doubt left ;)

justql

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
Replace the seal behind the water pump. While your at it replace the shaft and the bearing. I replaced the seal but did not do the bearing. It lasted one weekend before the new seal was leaking agian.

TR

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 17, 2000
Love the internet. Thanks for the replies. Assuming the water pump components from the water pump shaft outwards require replacement, is there much work involved ? Can I do this job by laying the bike on its side, removing the clutch cover and continuing ?

Thanks again.

justql

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
Pretty simple repair, my sons is still apart I just haven't had time to put it back together.

TR

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 17, 2000
I took the case off, inspected the pump, seal, bearing and shaft. Looks good. Bearing is fine, no looseness or slop. Ran a simple leak test using oil overnight. No leak. I do not think the leak is coming from the pump area.
The bike is being put back together and further tests commenced.

Both coolant and gearbox oil were contaiminated.

I will keep you posted.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…