kx60 jetting is kicking my a double ss

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
the kx 60 is not a typical 24mm mikuni I guess. The reason I say this is because it has no air screw, no fuel screw, only an idle screw. With that said it does have a needle, needle jet, main jet & pilot jet.
The stock main jet is 200, the stock needle jet is N-8 and stock pilot is a 30. Needle position stock is on the middle, I had been running it 2nd from the top until DW when I raised to the top (leaner).

The bike had developed a bog from hell rolling gas on from closed to full mostly until I got past half throttle. Once the revs are up it screams. I've tried moving the needle clip around but it appeared too rich at all positions so I purchased new main jets. Got a 185, 190 & 195 to go with the 200.

Right now I have the 190 main installed and clip on middle and I still get the bog, when I lower the clip to the bottom with the 190 I get crackeling at mid throttle indicating too rich but the bog is gone. Have I got this all wrong in my head??? The more I work at it the more confusing it is, why don't they put air screws on these things? Any tips would be mucho apperspirasted.

Last edited:

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
Starter note. Always think of jetting as throttle position related not rev related. OK if the bike bumbles from closed (controled by pilot cct) it can take a while for it to clear itself from the transition to full throttle.

Start with the simple stuff. New sparkplug & clean airfilter just as a precaution. Check the choke cct is clean & choke is fully closing.

Sounds like the pilot jet is clogged. Never poke anything through it. Many carbs have no idle mixture & you just have to change pilot jets.

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
update. I installed a new topend and put the 200 back in. It runs a lot better with only a little hesitation off the bottom to mid throttle. I think I can raise the clip and solve but if not, I have plenty of jets in a bag. :thumb:

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…