nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
OK. Had a few beers, but they were gone by the time I got on. I was teaching my 4 y/o how to ride my niece's XR50 on a grass lot behind his house. Well, my nephew's KX60 was just sitting there. So I fired it up and took it out for a spin.

It's been a hell of a long time since I've been on something this small. To make matters worse, it has a traditional mini "powerband" with nothing down low and all midrange to top. Well, I couldn't keep it straight OR the front end down. It's so bizarre being on something that small that's that fast when you're sitting on top of the rear wheel maximally compressing the rear shock with your friggin' feet "behind" you because you have to sit on the tank to keep from endo'ing the thing. The turning is so sharp that a traditional lean on a big bike results in a SHARP turn followed by a little throttle: end result is coming up sideways by about 45 degrees and front wheel at about 5 feet in the air.

Mind you, this is on grass and the thing CANNOT spin because of my size (5'8" 170#--not big, but too big for this bike)

Any of you guys laughing out there, I've got two things to say: 1) I have no problem throttling up the ol' 5-Honey, and 2) You try it.

Hmmm...I had so much fun, I think I'll have to get one for myself....:think

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by nephron
Hmmm...I had so much fun, I think I'll have to get one for myself....:think

Now you know why so many of us own TTR125s :)

KDXDan

Oct 17, 2000
What a rocket!

At one of the races a few weeks back I was on the track for my sons 65cc class. I was standing next to a tabletop when this kid hit the powerband on a kx60 right on the face of the jump and it just launched the kid and bike in the air and the bike shot out from under the kid who landed flat on his face. It ripped his visor off and the kid looked bad. After the paramedics looked at the kid his parents didn't know how to get the bike back to the pits as neither of them knew how to ride a bike :eek:. Since they were next to us in the pits I offered to ride the bike back for them. I started up a slight slop and the bike would barely pull me up the hill. I thought "what a dog" and whipped the throttle, the bike hit the powerband and away they go:eek: What a rocket. I bought a KX65 or my son and he still isn't used to the hit. He shot straight off the track on the last lap when he should have turned left. He also cleared his first tabletop but I don't think it was intentional:D

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
nephron.

We're not laughing at you, we're laughing with you. Opps, you're not laughing.:scream:

I've been involved in pee wee racing with my grandson for about 4 1/2 years now and I have seen more pee wee dads toss away their kids 60's than you can imagine. Most of them do it right in front of their homes on the pavement after washing the bikes dressed in shorts and t-shirts.

Almost every pee wee dad that I know has done this at one time or another and they have the road rash scars to prove it.

It is amazing how much toque those little bikes have when they come on the pipe.;) Makes you appreciate the little guys that ride em that much more.

OLD-N-SLOW

Nov 21, 2000
O man are those fast! I was showing my son how to bring it up on the pipe when all of a sudden everything turns blue(sky), and some small amount of time later Im laying next to the bike spitting out dirt. I could not belive how fast it was and how hard it hits. When I told a friend this story he laughed
and called me a word used to describe a part or the female anatomy. A short time later after his ride on it he returned and said its not that fast. It turns out he never brought it up on the pipe. I convinced him to try again, this time
WOT in every gear. This time when the power hit his feet went straight out
and he shouted a colorfull metaphor meaninig poop. Said I was crazy for leting my son ride something that fast. The kids that ride those bikes fast
are amazing. My son on the other hand, has learned that thottle control can be your friend, and his dad is a dork!
Boy, we are having fun!
Steve

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
Yeah, but the point I was trying to convey was that the "shock" these little bikes deliver on us ol' farts is primarily because of the physics--weight, position, feet planted behind your ass on the pegs, shock nearly bottomed, and knees to elbows. You combine that kind of rippin power with the above and you end up with one hell of a wild ride.

Remember, I was on buffalo grass, too. No roost was seen, except the roost coming out of my (***okay, too rude***), which was nearly hanging off the rear fender. :scream:

KDXDan

Oct 17, 2000
Torque Pipes?

Anyone make a torque pipe to smooth out the hit or are there any modifications I can make to tame the bike down until my son can control it?

Tony Williams

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2000
Originally posted by Ol'89r
I have seen more pee wee dads toss away their kids 60's than you can imagine. Most of them do it right in front of their homes on the pavement after washing the bikes dressed in shorts and t-shirts. Almost every pee wee dad that I know has done this at one time or another and they have the road rash scars to prove it.

Ol'89r,

I was spared on my sons first three bikes (PW50, KTM50, KX60), but when we bought the YZ80 last year, I hadn't even seen it run. While my son was at school, I thought I'd take it for a spin.

T-shirt and shorts, of course.... heck, it's a mini. A little warm up in the out in the street in front of our house, then I opened 'er up for the short trek back home.

I grabbed that throttle to WFO, and grabbed second for some more. I have no idea how fast I was going in that short distance, but it quickly dawned on me that the garage was coming up faster than I wanted.

I did get the bike stopped, and the forty foot black marks across my driveway proved it. Those marks ended about 2 feet from the garage... my last "race" in the cul-de-sac.

bbbom

~SPONSOR~
Aug 13, 1999
Originally posted by Ol'89r
....I have seen more pee wee dads toss away their kids 60's than you can imagine.

HEY!! That's sex discrimination!!! Being a peewee MOM, I've learned about the little bike from well, you know! Of course the nearest pavement is a couple miles away but that gravel sticks! When we first brought it home I couldn't believe the boost when you got it going.

When my son was first getting used to the KX60 on the trails, I had my share of riding that little evil bike up some of the sections he couldn't make it through. I remember telling him more than once that I hated riding that little bullet bike! Now he rarely needs help but he has also moved up to his CR80E (smaller rims - he's only 8) and he does great on the trails. A couple more growth spurts and he won't even fall over when he stops anymore! :confused:

Of course a couple more growth spurts and he'll be asking to ride mine!:think

yzracer49

Mar 19, 2000
Speed demon

A friend bought a kx60 for his son. He had out grown his 50. Boy do they rip! Wewere curious how fast they would go, so I folled him (the Dad) with his truck down the country road at my house, Can you believe it, 60cc with little tires and a 190lbs guy on board, It went 55+mph. And it got there very quickly I might add. :scream:

I wish I had one when I was little :( Kids today get althe cool toys.

JJmxr

Nov 14, 1999
It good to know I'm not the only to lose skin on a mini;) . When I bought my sons YZ80 I was putting around on it in front of the house. I was heading back into the driveway when the bike lit up. It caught me by suprise. As I headed toward the open garage I though I could get it stopped. I ended up going into the garage, and once I hit the slick concrete floor with a handful of front brake the front end washed, and the bike ended on top of me. The kids were falling down laughing at me. So I did what any parent with brused pride, and body would do. I grounded them for laughing at me:p That only lasted about 10 minutes, about the same time I started laughing at myself.

G

GlowMe

Nephron, I have not laughed like that in quite a while!!!! Too bad one of your friends did not have a video camera. You would have won America's Funniest Home Videos for sure! When I buy my kids a 50 or 60cc bike I will definatly NOT RIDE IT! If it were not for you I am sure that I would have tried and made a fool of myself. (Sorry if I have miss spelled some words, I am still laughing and it is hard to type.) Again, thank you for the story.
:think

Top Bottom