Eddiet

Nov 29, 2001
My boys are riding a junior enduro this weekend. Its one 18 mile section. I'm concerned about the nine year old on an 02 KX65 making it on one tank of fuel. He's done 15 mile sections OK but I've never checked to see if he can go 18 miles. Has anyone done any fuel milage testing to see how far the KX65 can go on one tank? He's an aggressive rider and keeps it in the power band. There may be a road crossing where I could refuel him, but he is not going to want to stop if there is a chance he can make it.

ewbish

Feb 3, 2002
Last month my buddy's kid rode 30 miles on a tank, he stay's up on the power band as well. If you're worried, do what we do on long trail rides. Buy the small 1 pint aluminum fuel bottles made for the small camp stoves (like a whisper light). Just fill it with pre-mix. I assume your kid will have a drink system of some sort (like a Camelback). The small bottle easily fits in the pocket of most decent drink systems. If he doesn't have a drink system-get him one! A good hydration system will do more for his speed on a long race than custom suspension and engine mods!
Eric

RanMan

May 22, 2002
First trip out on the trail my son's new YZ85, I took a small coke bottle of premix in my fanny pack and wanted to ride until he run completely out of gas. He made it 28 miles with it running very rich. He stays on it pretty hard too. Don't know if you can compare the two, but I really believe he will be ok with a few miles left.

Sounds like you guys are going to the Little Brown Jug?
We will be there also. I had called yesterday and got some info on the kids race. In the past, my son has been very disappointed in the length of his races. Seems like they would race for about 10 minutes and it was over, so I believe he is gonna love this one. About half way through mine, I may be wishing I was on the 18 mile loop. :scream:

My son is 12 and riding a YZ85 and I ride a DRZ250. Maybe we'll see ya'll there. See us, be sure to say hello. Also, I drive a Kia Sportage. Shouldn't be too hard to spot. Not many folks try that. :)

Last edited:

Eddiet

Nov 29, 2001
Thats right, its the first SETRA race at the Brown Jug. My 13 year old son will be riding a KX100 probably in the same group as your son. We will be in a white Jimmy with three Kawasakis (65,100,220). The kids should enjoy this run. Its been raining every day this week, the red clay will be slick. They said the Sunday race is 70 miles, longest section is about 13 miles. I'm on row 6. Sounds like a fun race. See ya there.

Top Bottom