cthowards

~SPONSOR~
Feb 13, 2006
My 9 year old just started riding a 2006 KX65 this year. He weighs about 75 pounds. I set the suspension to the Team Green specs which are as follows:

Stock springs front and rear
1.5 turns out on the rear shock
Sag of 70mm
2 turns out on the front forks
10mm on front fork above the triple clamps

Just pushing on the bike in the garage, it feels unbalanced - the rear feels too soft while the front feels stiffer. On the track, this same holds true. The rear bottoms and tends to kick and swap around. Off of jumps, it has a tendency to be nose low (i.e. rear kicking up). In addition, he does lose the front end from time to time even though he is usually right up on the tank.

I just can't figure out how to stiffen up the rear to match the front and keep the sag the same. Stiffer rear spring? Also, there just doesn't seem to be too many adjustments that can be made with clickers so does anybody have any setup tips? Also, my son is fairly tall so I don't want to raise the forks 5mm to make the front end stick.

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
you will need to have the rear shock revalved. lighter front springs also. the kx has pretty much the worst suspension of any 65 on the market. Its how they get their price so much lower than the polini,ktm,cobra. those 3 all have $1200 forks and $600 shocks on them stock.

The KX is very unbalanced suspension wise in stock trim.
Its very much worth you while to find a good suspension guy and spend a few bucks getting it set up right. looking at about $500 bill. rear revalve, rear spring, front revalve, front springs....I have reccomendations if you end up getting it done and don't find someone local.

JGrossijr

Dec 29, 2004
I spent a lot of money on a KX trying to make it as good as a KTM 65. It would have been more cost effective to sell it in stock trim and just go buy the KTM.

Top Bottom