KX80 wheel size change, other shrinkage ideas...

MicroG33k

Apr 14, 2009
Hi.

I used to have a '92 KX80, never had a completely working engine for it, so it just took up space in my back yard. It's in storage now, and I don't know if I can get it back. In either case, I was very happy with it, size-wise.

I was thrilled when I got a '94 KX80... but it seemed annoyingly larger. Well I did some research and found there are two models, one with bigger wheels (and possibly other differences), turns out this is the one I have.

So assuming I can get my 92 out of storage, can I just swap the wheels around? Are they going to fit without difficulty? And is this the only difference between the two versions, or are there other dimensions that differ and parts that I'd have to change over also?

brentoncole

Feb 17, 2010
should be 100% compatible and if you have changed a tire before you can easily change the wheels, there might be some difficulty with the swing arm but i highly doubt it... how tall are you ive never heard any one complain about hight except with young riders p.s. the big wheel version which you have, should still be a tiny bit taller because it has a longer swing arm peace

MicroG33k

Apr 14, 2009
I am almost 30, but I'm only 5'0" on a good day, if I stretch a lot before I get out of bed.

I also have the swingarm from the 92, which I have reinstalled before so I know how.(I got the bike in pieces from a friend who had completely disassembled it... I have no idea why.) Assuming that's also a compatible part for swappage, it looks like I can convert the big-wheel version to the non-big-wheel version.

What basically happened, is I posted an ad on craigslist saying I had a beat-up car for sale and was trying to save money to get a bike. I got a reply asking if I'd trade it for a KX80. Well, the offers I was getting on the car were roughly 1/3 of what people were selling 2-stroke 80s for, so it was, financially, a great deal, and I went ahead with it, even though it wasn't exactly the bike I was hoping for. I'm happy with it, for the most part, but some adjustments and tweaks are definitely in order.

Essentially, the former owner is MUCH larger than myself, and the bike setup shows it. Initially, for example, the suspension preload was cranked up so high there was absolutely zero static sag and I could barely move it. I almost couldn't get on it.

The 92 I have is mostly complete except for some engine problems, I have actually considered taking the engine from the 94 and putting it on the 92 (I'm betting it will fit...) but that's a lot more involved than changing wheels and maybe a swingarm. :)

Top Bottom