DirtGherkin

Aug 15, 2004
Guys - I have recurring problem with son's '03 KX85. Seems I have to spend an unusually long time warming it up before it'll take any throttle without fouling the plug. Someone watching me throw wrenches from trailside said that the bike needs to be warmed up (idle or little throttle) until it is warm before the bike can handle the big handsful of throttle. Seems to be true - if I attempt to ride it before it has sufficiently warmed up, the first throttle whack will result in a bog that immediately fouls the plug dead. Once the bike is warm, it'll wheelie through 4 gears. And it'll start after sitting through lunch - first kick. Too rich? (hint - I did rebuild carb recently but have setup according to stock specs). Probably I screwed up the carb. My 12 year old - not impressed.
-Stock plug
-Fuel: 32:1 Yamalube, fresh Premium gas
-Fresh air filter clean/oil
-All stock bike

Any ideas ...? THX!!

breezeair

Feb 8, 2006
Stock jetting was way rich for my son's 06 KX85. If you are happy with the way it runs when it is warm I would try a hotter plug. We run a BR9EIX, it never fouls and the bike never runs hot. Team Green recommends a 9 heat range and I get them at the local auto parts store for about $4.50

breezeair

Feb 8, 2006
It didn't foul every time, but he had to let it warm up before taking off. Now there is never a fouled plug. He kicks it once or twice, lets it idle for about 10-15 sec. and goes. He will ride easy the first lap to check the track and then he is gone.

Top Bottom