razorboy

Jul 12, 2005
Can anyone tell me if it matters that I plug the vent for the powervalve on a KX85?

The reason being is that I am running this engine in a RS125 Roadracing chassis and it is spittin' black spooge all over the front of the bike.

This is no big deal for a dirtbike since it drains to the ground but you can't do that in a roadracing chassis.

I had an earlier cylinder for this motor that did not have the breather hose for the powervalve so it looks like Kawi added it later. Just wondering if it is there to prolong cleaning of the powervalve assembly or does it actually help in the performance of the motor?

I just want to plug it and do away with the hose altogether.

Cheers
Bernie

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Instead of plugging the hose, why don't you do two things.

First, learn to jet. If you are blowing out spooge, you must not be jetted right.

Second, use some sort of a bottle at the end of that hose to catch what does happen to come out of it.

I'm pretty sure that the little egg heads at Kawasaki had a pretty damned good reason for putting that vent in the powervalve.

Chances are, they're way smarter than either of us.

razorboy

Jul 12, 2005
IndyMX said:
Instead of plugging the hose, why don't you do two things.

First, learn to jet. If you are blowing out spooge, you must not be jetted right.

Second, use some sort of a bottle at the end of that hose to catch what does happen to come out of it.

I'm pretty sure that the little egg heads at Kawasaki had a pretty damned good reason for putting that vent in the powervalve.

Chances are, they're way smarter than either of us.

According to the plug and the bikes performance, the jetting appears to be bang on? The plug is moca brown and the bike does not smoke at all, visually anyway?
Currently, the hose IS fed into a bottle but the exhaust pressure in the bottle is blowing it out the bottles breather hole.

I think I can lean out the needle some but the top end is right and the pilot seems right as well. It has perfect idle at 2.5 turns out on the airscrew.

Not sure what Kawi is doing sometimes?

griffbones

Sep 12, 2006
I have never seen a KX85 or KX100 that didn't spit out the PV breather hose, even if they were correctly jetted.

In therory Kawi added the vent to help the over rev. In reality it did very little for the bike, pretty much the same as the fact that the little KX power valve is very ineffective in the first place. I would plug it if you want to, that cylinder is identicle to the older models with out the vent, I would just about bet my last dollar that you will not notice any difference in the bike.

razorboy

Jul 12, 2005
Thats what I kinda figured?
Since the older cylinder that I have does not have the vent I figured it was some sort of simple mod they made. I think I will try plugging it and see if it makes any difference.

Thanx to both of you for your varying perspectives on this.

Cheers
Bernie

Top Bottom