bishop_d

Oct 12, 2001
I recently picked up a stock used 2002 KX85 for my son. I've been trying to dail in the suspension for him. The rear shock appears to have the standard compression and reboud just like my 250. When I turn the clicker on the top of the rear shock that I would expect to be the compression, it just keeps clicking. I've turned it about 7 turns, and it never gets hard, or stops. Is this normal, or is something broke inside the shock? I don't seem to notice any major difference in compression just pressing down on the seat.

Thanks for any help.

deano...

bikepilot

Nov 12, 2004
How do you know if its 180 out? i.e. how do you tell the diff from 12 to 6 o-clock? My wife has a KX100 and I thought the shock was broken when I tried to adjust the compression - it was a little stiff and turned forever. I am glad I found this post:)

bikepilot

Nov 12, 2004
Forgot to ask - any tips on adjusting the rebound or the compression on the forks? I am very familer with big bike suspension, but this is my first time trying to tune this bike (2003 KX100)

thanks

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
I wish i could remember which way is full stiff on the shock-but to be honest it makes so little difference i would give up on the idea.The forks are not adjustable for rebound i think? Compression is normally at the bottom and clockwise is stiffer.

bikepilot

Nov 12, 2004
Ok, I am not too worried about the forks, but the shock has so much damping (compression and rebound) its crazy. I can watch the rear end of the bike slowly come back up after I push it down and it can not be pushed down quickly either. Either the adjuster is set way too stiff or something inside is broken. I am hoping I don't have to take the shock apart but we will see.

On a brighter note, I found a great deal on a R&D rear link (which makes the shock/wheel travel raito more linear) and a set of .39kg for springs. Now all I need is a stiffer shock spring and proper damping and it will be ready to go:)

Thanks,

Josh

phoneman064

Apr 6, 2004
The shock compression adjuster is full soft when the dot on the center of the adjuster is at 12noon. It is full stiff when it is at 9:00.

The stiffness you are describing sounds like linkage bearings dragging. Might need to grease swingarm/linkage etc... The shock, when fresh, works well. Should even have enough rebound control for a stiffer spring.

Forks can be greatly improved with aftermarket valves for comp and reb. Can even be made externally adjustable. YZ85 caps / rod and new valves and the forks are awesome.

bikepilot

Nov 12, 2004
Thanks for the info. I am pretty sure the drag I noticed is due to damping as there is very little initial stiction, but I will be servicing the lingage beargings soon anyway. I'll try setting the compression adjuster to 12noon and see what that does. Any details on the YZ85 mod? Do I need the whole cartridge assembly and the top caps? What about the valve stack at the botom of the forks - replace with the adjustable racetech units?

thanks,

Josh

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
It wont be the comp clicker position making it slow, the rebound adjuster could be stuck fully in.I would look at the linkage and no gas in the shock as ideas.

bikepilot

Nov 12, 2004
Will probably pull the shock apart and at the very least service it soon, I tried messing with the rebound adjuster. It moves freely and feels like it should but doesn't seem to make any noticeable difference from full hard to full soft. I'v got a R&D rear link that I will be installing soon, so I will check the swingarm and linkage bearings at that time.

thanks,

josh

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
if you go full hard and try to get it to go more , the needle inside sticks fully in, its a pia as you have to take the shock apart to move it back.

bikepilot

Nov 12, 2004
I have not put much pressure after finding full hard (turned it in untill I felt a little more resistance than normal - didnt force it further) on the rebound (the compression one spinns forever), but the PO might have. I suspect that is probably what happend. I'll probably take the shock apart sometime this summer, my wife is just learning to ride and is not at the level that she will notice for a little while:)

Top Bottom