HRP396

Sep 29, 2003
I have had my rmz for two months.It is the best all around bike I have ever riddin. I only have about 40 hours on the bike it has been trouble free and performs excellent.I was told by the dealer I bought it from that people were not checking the oil level properly and adding way to much oil.He told me that as long as I don't overfill the oil the bike will be fine. Since then I have heard others say the same thing. I hope they are right cause this bike is a blast to ride I hate the thought of it blowing up on me.

ob1

Sep 30, 2003
(I also posted this on thumpertalk)

Ok, on the motonews.com site, TFS posted:

"Rumor Roundup:
True- New 250Fs (Suz and Kawi) blowing transmissions? Sources say yes."

And that was all.. On the message boards, someone asked TFS to elaborate on this statement.

The answer basically came back from TFS as: (I've paraphrased this)
Problems were seen by the race team during pre-production testing. And that he hasn't heard of any problems with production models.

Someone else piped up on the motonews.com discusion thread, stating something about bikes getting stuck in gear. But if you look at what his previous posts (and follow up posts) look like, he looks more like a troll than anything.

Judge for yourself:
http://www.motonews.com/tfs/current01.htm (look at 11/1)

And the matching forum asking him about this.
http://www.motonews.com/mototalk2/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=motomain&Number=105369&page=2&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0&fpart=

All of this makes me wonder why would TFS put this 'true rumor' on his site in the first place????? It seems like the only thing that is 'true' is that there is a 'rumor'. (not that what the rumor states is true).

In the past, TFS has posted incorrect/fabricated information on his site on purpose in order to catch other MX online sites who copy information from his site.

Dan105

Aug 23, 2002
even if something like that were true, the problem would be found and corrected. I wouldnt let it stop me from buying one.

FlyinHawaiin

Nov 15, 2003
I would be so aggravated if the trans in my new bike blew I mean come on they are supposed to build them so you dont have to worry about such things when you ride. End up wrapping it around a tree. Also heard the oil and cooling fluid drains out the same plug, thats something new.

Eddy V

Jul 13, 2000
Our local dealer in Belgium just got 10 RMZ250's but he received a fax from the factory that he may not deliver them to the customers before they have repaired the airbox sealing.I had read this problem already in the MXaction mag."Our airbox leaked between the air boot and internal facing plate" So please pay attention men.

ThumperKXF

Dec 19, 2003
This happend to me on my new KXF. The gear on the clutch basket shatered and took out the whole bottom end of the bike. Chewed up a bunch of gears and cracked the right side of the case.

The good thing is Kawi stood behind the bike 100% Its fixed and rides as good as ever!!
:)

The theory I have heard is that a bad CDI causes a backfire condition during kickstart (major pressure) and it cracks some gears.

There is one other guy I know of (on ThumperTalk.com) that had the exact same problem as me.

djj

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 18, 2003
Same thing happen to my sons kxf as did to ThumperKXF. Kawi covered all the repairs and put a new cdi box on. Hope thats the last time it happens.

penguin

~SPONSOR~
N. Texas SP
Feb 19, 2000
No problems here. I have about 20 hours on my limon. The airbox can be a problem but a little silicone sealer fixes it. You also have to watch the top airbox mounting bolts just behind the gastank and the spokes loosen pretty quickly the first 3 to 4 rides. Pay particular attention to the oil level, the sight glass can give a false reading, measure the ammount you put back instead of trusting the sight glass and change the oil frequently. You are hearing more from the people with problems because the majority of the KXF/RMZ owners are out riding, with big smiles on their faces :)

Last edited:

Killer McCoy

Feb 4, 2004
Dang, i wondered if the KXF blowing transmission was true... I was thinking about buying one. I probably still will since you guys said Kawi fixed it. how long did it take for them to fix and did it cost anything?

ochster

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 11, 2000
Unfortunately the fast guy's are having some problems. Fortunately, it appears the factories are footing the parts bill. Gearbox, clutch, valve springs, and cooling issues, will all pushed to thier limit if rode by a pro. I don't see the need for concern by the average guy or even racer. The valve spring issue would be my biggest concern, and can be remidied with a set of quality valve springs. From what I know, Kibblewhite will be releasing a set of replacements shortly. When a valve drops it's $2300 at the dealer level.

kx_693

Jul 2, 2002
And what pros are having problems? I personally know two of the GNCC pros that are ridding these bike, Chucky Woodford, and Cole Calkins. Neither of them have ahad a problem with there bikes at all. Not even overheating, and they are both running the 1.1 rad. cap. I also have a 250F and have not had a problem with it. I havent even had to touch the valves yet, but after this weekend (went to SC to get some practice) I am going to check them again. The KX250F is a great bike, dont let all the rummers stear you to the wrong bike....So now you have heard of 3 people that race the GNCC's on them and have not had a problem.

ochster

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 11, 2000
I don't see any reason to list rider names, and you can certainly write this info off as rumor if you like. My responses on this site are more along the lines of informational, when I do have anything to add. I'm not taking anything away from the bike, and actually will be picking one up next week, to prep for supercross conditions. Just like any of the manufacturers, there are however some issues. One of these issues can get you hurt if it happens on a jump face readying your self for a 65ft. trajectory. Certainly that does not apply to everyone, but for those it does is why I posted. I'm confident that if this is construed as B.S., Mr. Rohrich will call me on it.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
From what I've read on some of the web bulletin boards there has been three recalls (service bulletins) so far for these bikes with the latest being to change out the CDI. I can't vouch for the accuracy of this info since I don't own either bike. One of the members on another board that I read has just bought 2 KX250F's for his son to race with and the tranny locked on one of them 5 minutes into break in this past week. No need to get defensive as no one is suggesting they aren't a good bike and as ochster stated it appears kawi/suz is standing behind the bikes making good for anyone that does have troubles.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
ochster said:
I'm confident that if this is construed as B.S., Mr. Rohrich will call me on it.

Ochster - The info you posted syncs with the info we've been hearing from reliable sources. Pro level MX riders beat up bikes in ways that the average guy couldn't begin to fathom. It looks like it's a really nice bike for the average rider, but serious racers will likely run into a gfew of the teething problems just like they did on the KTMs, CRFs, and YZFs in their early stages.

Charles Kettering once said "the price of progress is trouble", and in this case maybe a few broken parts. :cool:

Top Bottom