KYB CV trouble on 98 YZ125 46mm forks

Yamajeb

Feb 20, 2006
Picked up a set of these forks with plans to replace stock cartridge units on my kdx220. Disassembling to replace seals/bushings and to restack shims and ran into trouble with the CV (I think it's called the CV, it certainly is the internal cylinder in which the piston and midvalve are located). I can't get the top or cap off!

I've learned that the tops on these units are possibly pinned or staked. There are 4 tiny holes (1mm maybe) equally spaced around the perimeter up near the top but after studying them I don't really see anything but what looks like threads. I tried some heat from a fairly heavy duty heat gun but can't get 'em to budge .

Any help would be sincerely appreciated - I took the nut off the bottom of the rod from one of the assy's to access the shims and didn't realize that the valve and all the pieces above the valve weren't going to come out without taking the top off - I've got loose pieces inside the cylinder!! :bang:

minutz

Feb 6, 2000
Those are peens and it is threaded, you must drill them but not all the way, very trickey! A little too deep and you are going to trash the threads. Same goes for not deep enough. Go to Mx-Tech.com under support and KYB bumper fork rebuild.

Yamajeb

Feb 20, 2006
Thanks, minutz! It turns out that there's been work done on these forks before - that's why there's holes where the peen marks used to be . . .

Top Bottom