Lacing new D.I.D. rim to 1986 Ktm hub

imhoffma2

Sep 11, 2009
Laced new rim to old hub. Had to cut old spokes out. New spokes are all same length. Rim requires an offset due to brake rotor on left side. Once laced up, spokes on left side (spokes closest to verticle), are tighter and nipples ate up more of the spoke threads. Seems that if I tighten right side any more, spokes would pull hub back to the right. Should I torque both sides to the same value??? I'd appreciate any help or expertise. Thanks

Porkchop

~SPONSOR~
Apr 27, 2001
Assembling wheels

Loosen spokes on left, tighten spokes on right, to obtain correct offset position. Then deal with truing up axial run out ( out of round), then deal with transverse run out, loosen left- tighten right or vise versa as needed only in the zone you wish to move.
Prior to doing any of this, loosen every thing up & lube all spokes & nipples with a light oil. When it's all true & straight, gradually tighten to the same torque, by taping on spoke whilst listening for a similar pitch sound with your spoke wrench. good luck, Porkchop.... :cool:

Porkchop

~SPONSOR~
Apr 27, 2001
because I can

You're welcome, I'm always happy to share info. Next is to go put some time on the wheel( go pound some whoops or sand) avoiding the big doubles or triples. This will allow all the freshly assembled parts to settle in or get well seated if you will.
At this point check for straightness & re-torque to get that pitch back where it sounds right, you can compare the sound to an other wheel of the same size that is in good condition. Good luck, Porkchop... ;)

Top Bottom