KnightrRider

Jun 30, 2005
What up, I'm gonna get my rims powdercoated and I want to learn how to Lace them myself. I know there is a pattern to it. Inside spokes then outside skipping every 4, I think? Any help on how to do this would greatly be appreciated. thanks!!

Oct 28, 2004
for one side of the 21 inch front wheel on my yz250 the pattern goes back 6 then ahead 10 for each side, the rear 18 inch wheel goes back 2 then ahead 6 for each side. yours may be different for your bike and wheels but the best way is just to take out a notepad and draw yourself a little diagram. good luck! I wish my excels were powder coated

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
Got a truing stand? makes the job lots easier. If not, just put the axle through the hub and prop it up on something so the whole thing can spin. I've seen guys use a couple old 2X4's with notches cut in them. Then just zip tie each set of spokes together where they cross. Now just remove the nipples and it'll mostly stay right where it is. then you can take off the wheel, get it powdercoated and put it back. As long as someone dosen't come along and jack up your program in the meantime, you'll be good to go. Also remember that the rim holes correspond to the direction of the spokes, so keep that straight. And drawing a diagram does help just in case a few get out of place. Good luck, YZ165

usgpru27

Jan 15, 2005
I just took some digital pics of mine before changing rims. Helped a lot. You also need to ensure that you get any offset correct. Along with a truing stand (can make your own) you need a dish indicator. If your rims are exacty centered in the rim it is easy. My CR is. I had never done this and they took me an hour a piece. While some I think put all the spokes in the hub then lace I found it much easier to go one at a time. I did one side with the inner or underlaced spokes first then flipped did the other.. then the outer one side... flip..... repeat. I had to take maybe 3 already mounted spokes nipples off and pull the spoke to do the final lace on the final ones of the outers so no biggy. I also just put the nipples on a few threads to keep everything real loose. This will allow you to manipulate the spokes easier. Hope this helps. It really isnt hard. They really only go one way.

hoosierf

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 6, 2001
I lay all of my spokes on the bench and make sure they are the same length, not bent, etc. From there it's simple geometry. If all spokes are the same lenth and tightened the same amount, the rim will be pretty darn close. So, I mark each spoke with a sharpie one inch from the end with the threads. Then, you just tighten the spokes a very little bit at a time, judging your progress against your marks, until they start to become snug and there is no slop in the rim. Then I mount the wheel and use a dial indicator to finish it off. Take your time and tighten each spoke a very little bit at a time; constantly using your marks on the spokes for reference. And, this is important, put a little grease in each nipple for anti-sieze.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom