trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
I've made the switch from summer to winter tires during the previous week. A re-known garage installed them for me. The day after, a bizarre sound, barely audible, could be heard coming from my front left wheel. The sound eventually grew into a toc-toc-toc so I stopped the car. Everything seemed normal until I checked the bolts who hold the wheel. Of the 4 bolts, 2 of them could move freely with the tip of my fingers :yikes: I tightened the bolts and checked everything. The sound disappeared.

If this would have happened to somebody a bit less careful or somebody who pays a bit less attention to details (bad wording here, can't find the right word) than me, something bad could have occurred.

Anybody else here victim of a lack of vigilance? Let's here it!

Last edited:

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
trial_07 said:
Anybody else here victim of a "lack of valiance"? Let's here it!

You do mean "Vigilance" right?

Val·iance
Val·ian·cy , n.
[Cf. F. vaillance. See Valiant.]
The quality or state of being valiant; bravery; valor. [Obs.] «His doughty valiance.» Spenser.

vig·i·lance (vĭj'ə-ləns)
n.
Alert watchfulness.

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
Well I don't know actually... I mean the word "vaillance" in French which I tried translating. Vigilance would be much better I guess. Thank you Indy!

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
great job none the less with English as a second language :cool:

and by "remarkable" you may want the word "audible" ??

to answer your thread though , i think everyone has been the victim of "carelessness" to some degreee

also , if you have aluminum rims , there is a disclaimer at the bottom of most garage work orders instructing the customer to recheck their lugs after 25 miles after any removal of the wheels

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
Thanks ellandoh! I meant barely noticeable or audible. I'm changing it at the moment.

This carelessness could have caused an accident though if it were...hmm...say an old lady's car! How much time does it take to check all bolts on all wheels with an impact gun? I did not complain to them as they were very kind and offer great services usually. They let one slip I guess!

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
ellandoh said:
also , if you have aluminum rims , there is a disclaimer at the bottom of most garage work orders instructing the customer to recheck their lugs after 25 miles after any removal of the wheels

I did not know this. Thanks for telling me BTW! Bolts loosen a bit on aluminum rims?

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
i should not be quoted on this but i guess the tendency to loosen would come from the thermal expansion properties of the aluminum

loudandproud

Jul 29, 2006
one time i adjusted the chain length for my dads bike, went inside, and he came out and rode away on it before i got done and tightened the axle bolt.

Thank god it wiggled alot before it popped off. Needless to say he was pissed!!!

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
loudandproud said:
Needless to say he was pissed!!!
Haha and you were probably laughing :laugh:

ellandoh said:
the tendency to loosen would come from the thermal expansion properties of the aluminum
That would be a logical response although I doubt my wheels get very hot. The tires do though :laugh:

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
Ok so he was REALLY mad? :yell:

Moose

~SPONSOR~
Sep 16, 2006
There's been many times I've been traveling and end up behind someone with a loose rear wheel. Wobbling like hell, I don't know how they can't feel it. Either that or their tires weren't balanced.

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
trial_07 said:
That would be a logical response although I doubt my wheels get very hot. The tires do though :laugh:

try touching them directly after a couple good slow downs in a row, youll see

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
Yeah those brakes get really hot, thus the wheels should get hot too. Thanks for whoever changed the thread's name, it is appreciated! I don't think I can do this myself eh? If yes, how?

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
And magic...who understands magic :whoa:

sparkysakitas

~SPONSOR~
Aug 31, 2005
i had my front drivers side tire fall off my truck 2 months ago on the highway :yikes: had changed from my mud tires to the stock set up to drive to track didnt re check lugnuts before i left

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
What happened? Any damage or accident?

sparkysakitas

~SPONSOR~
Aug 31, 2005
front started wobbling pulled over to breakdown lane as i was coming to stop bam truck dropped and tire went rolling across highway. bent 2 wheel studs and the little gaurd under brake rotor and jammed front fender at corner of wheel well,plus rim was ruined. but i was lucky could have been alot worse
now i impact the crap out of them then drive few miles come home and impact them again i am running my 35" mud tires all the time now seeing as i ruined the factory rim :blah: :blah:

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
Lack of Vigilance on the part of my co-workers is what keeps Work Week Natty reaching for tums and rum. Trial07, you are spot-on. PS, I like the term lack of "vaillance", it sounds better and carries a more dignified meaning to "clueless 'tard". Mon deux!

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
GETMETOCA said:
Trial07, you are spot-on.
What does that mean?
GETMETOCA said:
Mon deux!
I think you meant "Mon dieux" as in "My God"? "Mon deux" is like "My two" in English :laugh:
GETMETOCA said:
Lack of Vigilance on the part of my co-workers is what keeps Work Week Natty reaching for tums and rum.
It's a good thing that you're there to fix their mistakes. :cool: What is your job BTW?

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
GETMETOCA said:
You'll have to Google it.
It can't be. I Googled it ;)
I'm a rapper.

Spot-on: Accurate, exactly right.
Can it be? I googled it :laugh:

So how can your co-workers mess up while rapping? :coocoo:

Moose

~SPONSOR~
Sep 16, 2006
It happens to everyone nowadays. They'll be spittin an ill lyric and they'll forget it, or studder. Ya know, MNM duz dat stuf all da time yo.

I wish I was a rapper.

Top Bottom