Pokie

Administrator
May 7, 1999
Galena, IL
the women showed us that they can have as much competitive make-up as the guys...... First they insisted on keeping the "big step-up" in the race (with an option to bypass) although the C-Class bypassed it totally. Second, we were treated to a first-rate display of competition in the "A/experienced class": Blackhawk (#486?) passing Nikki (#102)in the air on the finish-line jump on the first lap. Despite a nasty spill, Blackhawk still came in second behind Nikki who ran a convincingly smooth and strong race. Then, they were asking about Moto #2.... alas, we had scheduled only one moto. We know better for next time.
B-Class, which was won by Kim Westergaard, showed that most of the 10 less-experienced or even inexperienced women would not be intimidated by the 12 high and steep-faced tabletops and the Big Step-up jump. (full results will be posted as soon as Okie gets home with all the paperwork). Others, like Aimee, have shown remarkable improvement in this year's Dirtweek events....on a track that is definitely more challenging than last year's.
True beginners like Texas-gal Sarah (#19) who stalled right in the starting gate, losing easily 30 seconds, made up several positions by race's end..... more stories will be told by others, I am sure!
CONGRATULATIONS to the DRN women!

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Thanks Pokie for getting everything organized and sorted out for us. I had more fun than I care to admit despite my starting line performance. I was very flattered you considered me "A" class even though I'm nowhere near Nikki and Jenny's caliber! I had so much fun on that track. The thrill of racing is sooo addictive. Despite saying she's never been on a track before, Fe_Princess ride pretty darn good! She's definitely not afraid of the throttle. Everyone else rode well too. Thanks guys!

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
That was a BLAST!!! It was my first MX race! Early in the week, I found Blackhawk486 and asked her if she would lead me around the track a bit, I was too intimidated to go out there by myself. I've been working on my starts for the past few weeks, so that went okay. To tell you the truth, the only thing I remember about the start was being right behind GoSpeedRacer at the apex of the turn. I think I was about mid-pack.

The day of the race, I did a few practice laps and found the track to be snotty and slick, which are conditions I'm not too fond of. The "C" class moto worked it all in by the time our race started and moving all the races out 2 hours later helped a lot too.

I found a pace that seemed to work for me (e.g. no sliding out of control, little or no air as I hop onto the tabletops, no chest slams onto the bars as I navigate the whoops.....I might have been going about as fast as the parade loop the C class took, maybe a touch slower....)

FC22 must have gotten a poor start, because she passed me somewhere after the first set of table tops. The next thing I notice is little MX547's daughter, Kendall, passing me just before we go into the wooded section, showing me absolutely no respect. You'd think she'd just hang back a little out of politeness, maybe wait til the third lap to pass me, but no way. That little speedster was outa my sight in a flash. Oh well.

I keep my sane pace, saying "hey!" to all the flaggers. I have to admit that when the flaggers and the spectators yelled encouraging words to me, THAT WAS THE BEST PART OF THE WHOLE RACE!!

The Big Step-Up was a lot of fun. I had been doing this one all week. We Woods people know you can get up anything steep in 1st or 2nd gear. We don't try to "clear" stuff like this out in the woods, so I just did my thing and got over it. The flagger looked to have an imaginary rope attached to my bike and helped me along, thanks buddy!

I get out to the announcer's stand and hope that I can hear my name being called as I pass by, but I can't. I speed up just a little bit for show since most of the spectators are here to watch, but it was for nothing because they all had there backs to me. Apparently, Nikki and Blackhawk are on some other part of the track and that was more interesting....

I make my way down to the turn just before the first set of table tops to begin my second lap. I see the unmistakable form of Billywho on the red CRF #3 perched right at the turn and I think I better raise my elbows up just a bit. I didn't make it to cornering class, so I hope I don't have a spode spill right in front of him. I make it through the turn with absolutely no flair, but put my embarassment behind me and continue on.

Nikki passes me somewhere on the second lap and I shout out some encouragement. I realize I must be going a little faster than I normally do because my mouth is dry. I really want to take a sip from my hydration system, but I hear MX people don't do that, so I just picture one of those sno-cones in my head and it helps a little.

Third lap and I'm feeling pretty good by now. I now bunny hop the table tops and I'm having a good time. I give the flagger on the big step-up a "woo-hoo!" as I get to the top, because I'm in a good mood.

Sara#19 comes out of nowhere and passes me somewhere halfway through my 3rd lap and I lose a position. She tells me later that she got a bad start, so she really must have been working hard to catch us and take a 5th place "B" class finish. I briefly toy with trying to stay up with her when she passes me, but come to the realization that the pace I have chosen has somehow afforded me no crashes. You go girl!! I have a feeling Sara will get faster and faster if she continues to hang with Thump. Nikki and Blackhawke will have to look out next year!

I finish the race, elated and happy, all in one piece. The race was so much fun, I'm in next year for sure!!

Platinum

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 7, 2002
Natalie,
It was awesome to meet you, what fun it was listening to you laugh during the nighttime poker run. I hope to make it to Southern Cal sometime and hookup.
Cooperland, my first race! It wasn't pretty, but it was FUN. Note to self (do not grab throttle in the air, if you don't know how to land). What a blast!
Aimee you are truly a great hostess. Your camp was so welcoming. Thanks!
Those Michigan guys are great, too!
Denise I look forward to racing around the track with you. Guess I better speed up.
Thanks to all, I can't wait until next year!

Last edited:

Mikeb

~SPONSOR~
Jun 8, 1999
My hats off to all the ladies who rode in the MX race. I got some good photos of most of you on the big step up jump in the back ( while I was supposed to be flagging ;) ). Will be sending them to Okie as soon as he gets back. Stay tuned. I was AMAZED at how fast Jenny and Nikki ride. they would have proabably beaten the C class and Bikes/lights classes and would have finished top ten in the B class. They were HAULIN'. To all the ladies who rode the MX race .... You :aj:

gospeedracer

Chat Mom
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 8, 2000
Originally posted by GETMETOCA
I really want to take a sip from my hydration system, but I hear MX people don't do that, so I just picture one of those sno-cones in my head and it helps a little.
LOL! :)
I had a total blast too. I don’t know why I get so worked up every year only to end up having a great time.
I’d never started out of a gate before and was kind of kicking myself later that I didn’t follow some of the other girls’ lead and fill in/pack down the rut right in front of my gate. I bobbled a little when I hit mine out of the gate.
If it hadn’t been for wrench I might have really made a mess of things at the gate. He gave me some first-timer tips for getting off the start line. I think taking it easy and rolling out of it before hitting the gas was a good idea for me, otherwise I might have accidentally wheelied out of there which is what I was most worried about.
That track is a lot of fun. At the pace I go, it feels like a roller coaster ride. At every table-top jump I would let out a “whooo hooo”!
That uphill rhythm section after the step-up is a blast. I cannot afford to get hurt riding above my head right now, so after I had some trouble keeping my front end down in that section, I tried to just chill.
It was awesome to see so many women on the line. Last I had looked not many where signed up and then I show up and Wow! Our numbers grow every year! :)

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
Wrench? :think: That was ME. Wrench doesn't shave.

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
And they're off....

Attachments

• ladies moto.jpg
    ladies moto.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 378

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
Nikki with the holeshot, followed by Jenny (Blackhawk), and Fe_Princess???

Attachments

• ladies holeshot.jpg
    ladies holeshot.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 372

Thump

Jr Admin Type
Jan 17, 2000
All of you did fantastic! Great report gals. I a very impressed!

I am really proud of Sarah aka: HotPants. as she has only riden a dirtbike 2 or 3 times prior to DirtWeek. She is a little competative though and does not learn from my mistakes.... If she keeps hanging around with me she will learn to wreck really well, break lots of parts, loose her temper and never get any faster.... I hope you ladies can teach her something cause I am not sure I am the best one to teach her.... :confused:

Here is a pic of her that GSR sent me, we should have some more tonight after we get them back from developing....

Attachments

• hotpants.jpg
    hotpants.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 356

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
Hey, can you guys see that little bit 'o roost I'm kicking up - LOL! :) I better print this one out, no one will believe it. Thanks for posting, Thump! :thumb:

OKKX'er

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 10, 2001
That was the best race of the week. Take no prisoners! Although the smack talk races were really good too. Talk about pressure. They talked the talk, but then they walked the walk.

wrench

'00 Flappin' Fender [Ret]
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 7, 2000
Originally posted by gospeedracer

If it hadn’t been for wrench I might have really made a mess of things at the gate. He gave me some first-timer tips for getting off the start line.

I'm glad that it helped you out.

wrench

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
Originally posted by wrench
I'm glad that it helped you out.

wrench

You know, Wrench, I meant to thank you as well. You were there to remind us all before the race that it was supposed to be fun and not to ride over our heads and I actually thought about that a few times during the race, so "THANKS!!"

Natalie

Fe_princess

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 7, 2001
I remember coming out of the bathroom by the stands and I see GSR, FC22 & GETMETOCA sitting on their running bikes telling me, c'mon the race is about to start: Insert stomache in mouth :scream:
When I pulled up the the start, I kept my mind on what Dr. D had said about starts, pack the dirt under your tire and be sure to watch the bar of the person sitting next to you which happened to be Nikki. My body felt like it was levitating somwhere near Pluto. I watched the board go sideways then put my attention on the bar in front of Nikki and the sound of her throttle while she was reving the engine. When I heard the it go up and stay there, I knew I would have to get a good start to stay anyway near her. I was third into the first turn but Kim was right on my back wheel and I went so fast into the first tabletop that I was going to pull over and change my diaper.
Thank you Wrench for cheering me on throuhg the back section. I knew SFO was scoring and it gave me that extra gas to push myself.
I cannot even believe how much fun I had and I surprised myself with my finish.
I can still feel the rush of adrenaline everytime I think about that start. :aj:

Oct 3, 2000
The women's race was a blast! I had soooo much fun! :yeehaw:

Thanks Wrench for your tips on getting up the last part of the Big Step Up. The last lap I almost had to walk it up, but the feathering worked.
Billy Who's jumping class helped. I understand the concept, just need more guts (I'm throttle shy) and practice.

Scooter thanks for the compliments. If I can do it, I know you can too. I'm looking forward to riding with you next year. You would have loved the women's race!

Wendy

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
Cycledelic - it was fun to ride with you!! You have inspired me to enter the Team Harescrambles next year, you looked like you were having so much fun!! Thanks again for the Purple stuff and the knee brace, you and KelvinKDX are great people and I'm so glad I met you!

Top Bottom