BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Well, I got back at 2pm today, and have only just got around to posting - was a little tired ;)

This was the best Lake Mckenzie spodefest yet, the weather was great, no wind, and lots of the best food ever.

We had 12 adults and and 3 kids, and all had a blast - no injuries, and no serious incidents.

We did lose the Eeds boys for about half a day on Saturday, Jeff did not want to take the serious ride, and headed back to camp with Dad, two or three hours later they were still looking for camp. They did manage to get back to camp sometime in the afternoon, after running out of gas, and walking a few miles around and through the lake. We were just about to send out a search party, when they arrived back.

Derek, Trailryder42 as usual did the trail Boss thing on Saturday, and led the serious riders on a tough and demanding ride, that had us all tuckered out by the time we got back. Some of the boys had some good falls, and Calceneas after been stopped by TX246 on a steep hillclimb, bailed off sideways, and proceeded to tumble and roll backwards down the hill to the bottom.

We then ran the poker run which was a lot longer and harder than last year - some of the hardcore riders went full out for the full 4 laps. Tony Eeds and myself took it easy, and put in two hard laps :)  - I did two laps the day before setting it up, so I figured I had done enough !

Derek then took the boys out again in the afternoon for another ride, and we called it a day just before supper at 6. The kids had a blast at the 'dunes', more like hard sand mounds/hilly climbs, and made the most of their day there on Saturday. I let Kammy, my sister in law ride the Pamp for the afternoon, and had a ball. This was her first serious trail riding weekend, and she did really well (and she did not break the Pamp - thank goodness ;) )

Jeanette as usual cooked up a storm, and gave us a slap up meal of Roast beef, mashed potatoes, gravy, corn, green beans, peach cobbler salad etc - Lorin would have loved it :p

Sunday, the six remaining riders, headed out for the lake loop, and we took it nice and easy, I did throw in a few tough sections near the end, but all in all we rode, rested, rode, took a break, rode some more, and made the most of our Sunday morning jaunt.

As usual, The Lake Mckenzie spodefest was one fun weekend, nobody got hurt, and we all managed to get in some serious riding time.

Thanks to all who came and made it a great weekend. Hope to see you Okies and Kansians for the next one, we missed you lot.

Cheers

Bundu

Last edited:

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Thanks go to Alan for putting it all together! A great time was had by all. Even at just shy of 400 miles each way, it was worth the trip. I go to my house about 7:40 PM after dropping off Gene and Jeff. The trailer was left to deal with today (Monday).

After reading posts from previous MacKenzie trips, we had the trailer loaded down with everything you could imagine needing from arctic sleeping bags to shorts. As Alan said, we had great weather and if it hadn't been for the 4 trillion flies that wanted to get out of the wind by hiding in the trailer and on the lee side of every vehicle, it would have been PERFECT.

Now .... regarding running out of gas. Nobody told us how nice the trails would be and we just kept looping farther and farther away, blistfully ignorant of the impending doom that faced us. When we realized there was no way out of the predicament that didn't include walking, we parked the bikes by a "No ATVs beyond this point" sign and started walking. We scouted the ridgetops, but couldn't find our bearings, so we headed for higher ground. Once we reached higher ground, we quickly realized that to walk around the road would result in a 5 to 10 mile jaunt ( in moto boots :eek: ), so we headed down to the lake edge figuring that it would be the simpliest route back. It proved to be and after an hour or so of walking we arrived back at camp just as Alan was organizing a search and rescue effort. Derek knew exactly where we were and after getting some gas in a couple of bottles we headed out to recover the lost bikes. Thanks go to Tim V and Derek for taking us two up back out to the bikes. A quick scoot back and we were ready for the poker run.

Jeanette was everything that Alan described and she plied us with great meals the entire weekend. This is clearly the way to enjoy a weekend of riding. Getting together with fellow DRN members is always a great time, but having great food, without doing any of the work, is a real BONUS.

Thanks to everyone for a great time. All y'all need to be there for the next MacKinzie spodefest, as I said at the top of the post ....
A great time was had by all. :thumb:

Trailryder42

Feb 6, 2000
I'm glad everyone enjoyed the ride. Kinda felt bad that we lost the Eeds boys halfway thru the first ride. My bad for not finding out the skill level of those I hadn't met before. Hope Allen showed you boys a good time Sunday. Didn't get as many pics as in previous years but what I did get are at my webshots link. http://community.webshots.com/user/trailryder42 Thanks for coming guys. It was good riding with you again. The only time I ride that fast and hard is with you guys. And it was good to meet the Eeds boys and Calcaneus' brother Steve. Thanks to Bundu for setting up the poker loop. It was about twice as long as last years loop. See ya next year.

Derek

Last edited:

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Some cool pictures Derek. At least you get out and take some pictures, I took a camera and never made a shot ! :think:

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
I think Ken and Jean will remember this hill fondly, especially Ken, who I saw lose it to the left (right of picture), and go tumbling down backwards - looked pretty gnarly, must have tumbled about 20 yards straight back down the hill arse over tip - in picture is Jean :eek: http://community.webshots.com/photo/83446993/98148700oBfFam

And this little drop off looks easy, but it is pretty tricky, I just came over the ledge in time to see Jean's bike on the side of the ledge, and Jean at the bottom :) http://community.webshots.com/photo/83446993/98150223XPtRlT - having ridden this before, and scouted an alternate route, went around :p In picture is Calcaneus, and myself (heading in the other direction) !!! :laugh:

On Sunday I took the guys on a loop around the Lake, one section has a very steep drop off with two approaches, one lower and at an angle is more difficult, and the higher more direct the easier - After I took the group over the easier higher route, Jeff Eed, and father Tony decided to take the "Easier" lower route - no guesses as to what happened next - hey guys I was looking out for ya :confused:

Last edited:

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
That first pic^^^^^^^^^is the same place Justql and Craig_enid had the close call our first trip.  Sorry I missed the trip.  Next one will happen.

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
These two should bring back memories as well, the ride through the reeds in the river bed, and then a steep rocky switchback over a ledge with a steep drop off and cliff on the left - Dereks favorite ride - my moment of shame - got the wheel over the top, brought it up and stalled, restarted and just sat there spinning my back wheel - had to get off and push it up :ugg: you can see in the first shot I am just about to lose it - http://community.webshots.com/photo/83446993/98149265zgkSWG

and then sitting and spinning.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/83446993/98149369ivJLEH

Derek loves this torteous route :o

Now, if any of you have riden with Danman, he is a maniac to put it mildly (no offense Dan), anyway, on the lake loop on Sunday there are a series of sandy berms, and Dan just loves to blast full bore through this stuff, so I let him run in front for a while, in my minds eye at the time I could picture Dan sprawled in the dirt ahead, and lo and behold, he did not let me down, not even 5 turns later there is Danny boy picking up the bike in a cloud of dust :aj: :laugh:  you can lead anytime Dan :thumb:

Last edited:

Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
That little TTR will go you just have to keep the momentem up. I layed it over in the turn and what little berm there wasvery soft. The front tire washed out and that heavy little thing pitched me to the ground. I jamed my thumb. It does not brake slide very easy either with that rear drum. With my weight it was hard to climb hills unless I got a run at them. The nice thing is you could just dog paddel up the hills.

Now, if any of you have riden with Danman, he is a maniac to put it mildly (no offense Dan)

I know a lot of people that would humble me pretty easily in the trees. I ride briskly in between crashes and stalls. :cool:

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
I'm with Brian, next time for sure! I really missed the last 2 times you went without me :whiner:

One things for sure, there's nothing like the 1st time. I'll never forget waking up that morning and watching my urine freeze before it hit the ground and seeing the steam from it :laugh:

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Well, the way Tony was talking, he wants two rides next year, one in the spring, and one in the fall. We may just have a March or April ride in the offering :thumb:

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Originally posted by BunduBasher
Well, the way Tony was talking, he wants two rides next year, one in the spring, and one in the fall. We may just have a March or April ride in the offering :thumb:

:thumb: :thumb:

We will have to work around the possibility of "Trails and Tails" on the Gulf Coast.

How about May? The weather has calmed down to only "large" hail :eek: by then. Most of the cold weather has retreated northward.

Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
May is hot around these parts. That pretty much will wind down the riding season for comfortable weather. Any later than that and you are done by 11 or 12 at the latest. April would be O.K. ,but its a busy month for me as that is our enduro month. You should all come ride that instead :p

strsfan2

Sponsoring Member
Jan 1, 2003
Alan, I would like to send out thanks for hosting the ride. I been busy since I got back, or I would have thank you sooner. I had a great time, the riding was awesome. :aj: I t was nice to meet you and the other guys. But there is one thing that troubles me. I don't seem to remember you offering a scenic hike in the brochure. :laugh: Next time I will bring my hiking boots. Thanks again.

Jeff

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
 :thumb:

Last edited:

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Jeff, I’m just glad you guys made it, I was a little worried Ken would be camping all by himself. Sorry, about losing you guys on Saturday, I should have taken you back to camp – ah, at least you got to have  a great ride around the lake, and then a cross country hike to boot, you got the most bang for your buck.

Have you recovered yet, or do you still feel a bit beaten up ?

Lorin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 25, 1999
out and that heavy little thing pitched me to the ground

Danman, that is quite a statement for you, considering the behemoth that you usually ride. Riding a DR 350, and calling a TTR a heavy, little thing? Must be a relative term.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Originally posted by Jeff Gilbert
I'm with Brian, next time for sure! I really missed the last 2 times you went without me :whiner:

One things for sure, there's nothing like the 1st time. I'll never forget waking up that morning and watching my urine freeze before it hit the ground and seeing the steam from it :laugh:

LMAO with fond memories!

Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
Danman, that is quite a statement for you, considering the behemoth that you usually ride. Riding a DR 350, and calling a TTR a heavy, little thing? Must be a relative term.

The TTR was little and heavy. The DR is big and heavy. Shheeze Get it strait :p

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Yup, there ain't nuthin like a 200 pound Pampera :p

looks like we may have a full house next time :cool:

I think I'll head on down there tomorrow for a little ride !!! :)

Top Bottom