Marshall

Feb 25, 2003
I am tyring to organize a trip to this place with a few others, and am looking for some info, like how is the riding? How challenging is it? How much of it is there? Is it worth a trip from Memphis ( about a 3 hour drive)? Is there any place to stay? Where can we fill our bellies? Any reply will be appreciated, thanks.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Marshall,
Turkey Bay is a great place for all degrees of off-road ability.
Camping and port-o-let's on site.
Lots and lots of rocks.
Hillclimbs from lil knobs to big scarey ones. :)
Plenty of acreage to ride.
I think it's like 15$ for a three day pass.
MikeB and Paddy make the trip from Memphis, many of us from even further.
There are restaurants and hotels within about 20-30 mins from the campgrounds.
CAL and his bunch ride there nearly every nice weekend. They are local.
It's worth the trip.

RAH RAH

Aug 30, 2003
LBL is a great place to ride. theres usually quite a few people there over the course of the weekend. You would definitely want Cal to go with you because hes a super nice guy and he will grab a tree if he ends up leaving anyone. I would recommend him as a tour guide for the place. If you dont get to make the outer perimiter loop you wont need a tourguide.
you will think your lost from everywhich direction but there is a fire road going around the outside of the main trails.
we always camped and cooked but there are hotels somewhere nearby.

Marshall are you a member of the Memphis mc.? I ride with a few of them every weekend. We have a lot of adventures that are close to you that will keep you happy all day long. If the groups get big there will be a chillin group and a thrillin group. either way lots of fun.
All the buddies from Drn should get together again up there before long.
Its in the prime time of the southerners ridin season so lets roll somewhere

paddy

~SPONSOR~
Oct 7, 2002
Marshall I am in Memphis and I could give you all the info u need. Drop me a PM and we can exchange phone numbers and/or ride locally. Are u in the MMC?

Paddy

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
Worth it for a 3 hour drive?

I've driven all the way from Ames, IA just to ride there, what do you think? ;) It's well worth it, tons of fun, and all kinds of terrain.

Make it a point to watch for the group ride this spring. It's a real good time with some great people. Hope to see you there!!

jsned

~SPONSOR~
May 17, 2000
I drive 6 hours to get there been there 3 times. Plan on going soon now that my collarbone has healed and the job situation is over.

Good place, big, rocky (less rocks farther away from the lake you get), ok camping. Different lines everywhere you look so it is good if you have a variety of skilled riders. Last time I went I went with some guys who ride quads, I could rip around behind zigzaging around hitting hills they couldnt, and still be able to keep an eye on them so I could stay with them.

xrsonly

Jan 21, 2004
Excellent place to ride. I've ridden there for 7 years and still enjoy it. It can get crowded on nice weekends but well worth a drive from Memphis. An even better place in same area is known to locals as Linton riding area. No charge for that as at Turkey Bay and the riding is even better. It is on Corps of Engineers land right on edge of east side of Barkley Lake.

If you want a real great local dining experience, I recommend the Lake Barkley Lodge at the Lake Barkley Park which is 8-10 miles east of Turkey Bay on US 68. Food is excellent (if you like down-home southern style) and the massive timbered lodge is a real treat to see (overlooks the Lake).

lawman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 1999
who are all of these mempho guys? don't recognize the forum names. lots of memphis folks go up there, all of the time. if you are an mmc member, you can check the mmc website, somebody is always up for riding there. i'll be looking for all of you guys at next month's mmc meeting.

ps anybody want to try an enduro? lemme know & i'll hook you up.

CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
Whoa, almost missed this one!

These guys have pretty well summed it up. I've ridden, basically everywhere within 9-10 hours of here, and I always come back to home. I like Turkey Bay better than anywhere I've ridden. The only single track at TB is what you make your own, so don't expect goat trails. Most trails are anywhere from 2nd gear to 4th gear trails. And there are plenty of challenges on the trail.

We have started a DRN tradition of having 2 large rides at TB every year (spring, fall). We also have smaller "advanced riders only" rides throughout the year.

Let us know anytime you want to ride! Unless my bike is down, it's below freezing, or I have a major emergency, I'm usually at TB every Saturday.

My bike is down right now, getting suspension revalved. As soon as it's back in order...we'll be there for sure! I'm getting antsy!

corey@vci.net

I need to save this thread! I can't believe John gave me a compliment! Whooda thunked he had it in him!

Around the end of February or the first of March, keep an eye out for a thread about our Spring LBL ride in this forum. More than likely the ride will be in April.

Last edited:

CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
MrLuckey said:
Mike (FatherandSon) is interested in possibly joining us from the great cold north when we have our Spring ride. I am pretty tied up until at least mid March.

Good deal!

It will be AT LEAST the second weekend in April or later. The first weekend is the Loretta Lynn "bike only" ride.

RAH RAH

Aug 30, 2003
How about before then? Cal your still leading the way. (from camp)
Anything wrong with March? any way its time to start planning because we are the few that get to ride all year. In the summer it gets hot and dusty. what Im tryin to say is LETS GO!!!!! RIDING SEASON IS HERE.

CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
RAHRAH said:
How about before then?

I'll ride anytime you guys want to come down (or over). It's not like I have a long drive or anything! :moon: Here is my email. Let me know when ever you wanna ride.

corey@vci.net

The "big" ride will be in April or May. That has seemed to work really well the past two years. I think we had around 30 riders to show up last spring. Heck, last fall when it was 35 degrees and raining we had over 10 riders show up! (Even though the two that drove the longest, stayed at camp and didn't even suit up!!!) :ohmy:

Throughout the year, we have a couple of "advanced rider only" rides that are pretty much invitation only. We try to keep those rides to a smaller group so the pace can be more consistent. Yamahauler (Brent) is an excellent leader for some fast, consistent paced rides.

Slomack

Oct 27, 2003
Ok! Lets go! Saturday, Jan 31
For sure:
Mark W
Tim B
Paddy

Everyone else:
Mike B - ?
CAL - ?
RAH RAH (Don't forget "Strokin Steve"!!) - ?
Anyone else?

CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
Slomack said:
Ok! Lets go! Saturday, Jan 31
For sure:
Mark W
Tim B
Paddy

Everyone else:
Mike B - ?
CAL - ?
RAH RAH (Don't forget "Strokin Steve"!!) - ?
Anyone else?

Aaaaahh!!

I just got my shock back from Fabtech. I really need to put my revalve kit in my forks before I ride. You guys want to have a Fork Revalve party at my house? I don't think I can get them finished by Saturday.

CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
Slomack said:
Oops, change of plans. Looks like Hot Springs AR, same distance from Memphis, 20 degrees warmer on Saturday than Turkey Bay.

Suits me fine. The planets would have had to align for me to pull it off, anyway.

Milk

Looking for Mr. Right
Jun 28, 2002
Someone needs to invite IrishEKU. :)

RAH RAH

Aug 30, 2003
Sounds great if I didnt have to go to Oklahoma City for the next 10 days.
My bike doesnt get to go but it would be great.
Sonic managers meeting for too long. Ive allready gone to school for 7 years what more could they possibly teach me in 10 days.
Im going to Hot Springs the last weekend of feb for a couple of days then Im probably gonna go to chadwick on Monday and Tuesday or tues wed. Either way Im planning on a lot of fun!!!
We still need to get together and hit up LBL but April gets dusty. I think we should go sooner. Lets need to be planing something though!!
Later everyone

CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
RAHRAH said:
We still need to get together and hit up LBL but April gets dusty.

Naah. April is just right. It doesn't get dusty until June. June through early Sept is a dust ball!

Just let me know when!

Top Bottom