Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Thanks for the link KTMrad.

The same thing is happening in California. Families that have grazed cattle on their own land and public land for many, many years are now being told to get off the land because of the desert tortoise.

The funny part about this, (not really so funny), these are the same ranchers that would not side with the off roaders when we were getting kicked off of the land because of the desert tortoise. Now they are getting kicked off of the land.

We all have to stick together on this issue whether we like each other as a group or not. Off roaders, ranchers, private land owners, equestrians, hikers, mountain bikers, rock hounds, everybody.

If we don't, there will not be any public land as we now know it.

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
Originally posted by Ol'89r

The funny part about this, (not really so funny), these are the same ranchers that would not side with the off roaders when we were getting kicked off of the land because of the desert tortoise. Now they are getting kicked off of the land.

Last legislative session, here in Nevada, there was a bill before the state senate to require dirtbike registrations. A Green sticker law, just like our neighbors - California. It was to affect every off road vehicle, inluding ATVs. The ranchers that testified was the final nail in that coffin, and the bill died in committee.

Here's was happened: thirty or so of us dirtbikers show up for the committee hearing. Many testified. Every person (except one) was against the bill. The person that was for it was the person who got the bill drafted. He owned a dealer ship in Vegas, and was tired of riders buying bikes from out of state to avoid paying sales tax. He spoke first. When the two rancher spoke, one in the middle of the hearing and one at the end, it was all over. The ranchers use quads to string fence, land maintenance, and even some herd control. They did not want to have to register their quads. WE WIN!!

bbbom

~SPONSOR~
Aug 13, 1999
Unfortunately, we have a similar problem of Us vs. Them here. Most of the ranchers are ok but the loggers and timber owners don't get it.

One neighbor I grew up with has taken to hiding in the bushes and trying to scare dirtbikers and ATVers off of the Paper Companies land that is adjacent to his land. We stopped riding on his property last year at his request. He recently stopped my son and nephew when they were on Paper Company land and told them they weren't supposed to be there. I guess he isn't aware that the Paper Company and I are well acquainted and have worked out our own arrangement on the use of their land.

If my daughter's bike hadn't had a bit of a problem on the trail he would have had to deal with me but unfortunately I only got to hear about the incident from the boys.

The worst part is he uses an ATV to come up and harrass us!

We need to stick together, even if it means sharing our precious trails with other forms of recreation - sure beats the alternatives.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom