XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
from RacerX online
Larry Brooks Leaves Red Bull KTM Race Team

At a team meeting this morning in KTM's Temecula, CA, headquarters, Larry Brooks gave his two weeks' notice. Brooks is one of the most determined and passionate team managers in the business and was previously at the helm of the Chaparral Yamaha race team, where he won a championship with Jeremy McGrath.

Said Brooks, "I called a team meeting this morning and let everyone know that after the supercross season, I will be leaving the team. I just had a difference of opinion about some issues with the management in Austria, and I will be looking at other options."

While Brooks kept his comments brief, the widespread speculation is that he will be managing Chad Reed's new team, with Reed and Nathan Ramsey as the riders.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Whoa! That's large news. He bled orange.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Won't be long until all the details spill around the net as Larry is one of those who really wears his heart on his sleeve. KTM lost a good man there.

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
I just read that on RacerX too, what was the bit about Chads team? I'd heard that he wasn't resigned to the factory team, but I could'nt find more info. Brooks knows how to get it done though so I wish him.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Larry Brooks on another site said:
Hello everyone,
I’m sure you guy’s have heard the news that I have left my position as Team Manager at KTM. Well, I just want to say that it was the hardest decision that I have made since being a team manger. There are only 5 jobs (factory team manager positions) in our industry like this and I decided to resign from mine. I want to tell all of you guys that it doesn’t reflect on my staff, or my riders. All of these people are so dear to me and I (honestly) respect and enjoy working with all of them day in and day out. This is something I have to do at this time in my career. I have had sleepless nights thinking of how I was going to tell them, but as of today I dropped the bomb on these people that I respect. Everyone in the meeting was very supportive, surprised but supportive! I wanted to tell them first and not have them hear it from management or second-hand. I owed it to them to tell them myself. I held back the emotions that were bubbling inside of me and tried to be professional as I could. One of my riders took it harder than I expected and that shook me up, but I assured him that KTM would look after him in my absence. The Red Bull KTM team will be in the championship hunt for the 2006 AMA Lites outdoors series and this one rider felt that this change could change his chances at that championship hope. That made me feel bad and that I was making this move at the wrong time, but I am doing it for myself, my family and future. Once I make a decision I can’t change my mind. I guess that’s the hard-core racer in me.

Anyway, many of you have expressed congratulation, and this is a little premature because as of yet I don’t have another position to drop into. There are many rumors out there that I’m going to another team and/or another job, but right now that's not true. I made this choice to pursue other options and not because another job is waiting for me. I feel if I am going to look and/or talk to other people to make a profession change, it wouldn’t be fair to my team or riders to hold my position and negotiate with others. My position is to be of loyalty and if I’m out soliciting work, then I would not being loyal to my team.

I feel there is a place in this industry for me and that I can bring
positive influence to a team or riders that I choose to work with. I
love the job of team manager and if you know me and/or know of me, you know that I give everything I have from my heart to the sport of supercross and motocross. I will keep you guys updated on where I land and I will see you guys at the races. Thanks for the support that I have seen so far. I just thought I would tell you guys the truth and not have all this speculation.

Best regards,
LB

Chili

Apr 9, 2002
Sounds like Brooks was a huge part of keeping Alessi's program top notch. You can bet Tony won't be shy about telling everyone if KTM drops the ball on Mike's program this summer, and then moving on to another ride.

kelsorat

Knucklehead Newbie
Nov 5, 2001
KTM was better off without Larry.
Failed 250 program
Alessi
Loss of Langston
I could go on.

Chili

Apr 9, 2002
kelsorat said:
KTM was better off without Larry.
Failed 250 program
Alessi
Loss of Langston
I could go on.

• It's Larry's fault they couldn't build a 250 Pumpkin that didn't try to assassinate it's pilot each ride?
  • Larry failed KTM by bringing them one of the favorites for the 250F Outdoor title this season?
  • It's Larry's fault that after several assassination attempts by his 250 Pumpkin Langston was smart enough to move on?

:coocoo: :coocoo: :coocoo:

kelsorat

Knucklehead Newbie
Nov 5, 2001
1.I never heard or read any personal quotes from McGrath damning the 250. I sure read alot of comments from other people assuming the bike was the reason for McGrath's departure.
2. I never said Ben was a bad move.
3.Langston should still be with KTM. Complete lack of focus on a 250 program caused his departure.

Now where's my Hornsby's?

Chili

Apr 9, 2002
1-Langston had plenty to say about how horrid the 250 was not McGrath.
2-Who's Ben? If your referring to Townley he's on PC Kawi's. I was referring to Mike Alessi.
3-Langston was not sticking around due to lack of focus of the program, it was the fact the bike was a turd.

kelsorat

Knucklehead Newbie
Nov 5, 2001
Oh geez you're right about Townley. I guess that error just shot down my credibility.
Oh well I guess I'll move on to some other topic, I know when to surrender. :rotfl:

ktmracer

~SPONSOR~
Aug 9, 1999
Reed and Ramsey train together, Brooks is Ramsey's team manager, no linkage = bike doesn't go thru the whoops, Ramsey doesn't like loosing, Brooks doesn't like loosing, Chad needs a team manager and another rider..........makes perfect sense. (The scenario not the explanation).

Top Bottom