Senior KX Rider

Super Power AssClown
Nov 9, 1999
February 1, 2002

Larry Ward is in for 125 East SX Larry

Ward, the veteran Moto-XXX privateer based in South Carolina, will be competing in the 125 East Region Supercross Championships, beginning next Saturday night in Indianapolis’ RCA Dome. Ward, a former multi-time 250 main event winner, has not raced supercross since he left the Kawasaki factory team after the 2000 EA Sports Supercross Series. But after a great run as a privateer aboard the Yamaha YZ250F last summer with the Moto-XXX crew, Ward decided that riding the 2002 series would be the best way to prepare for an outdoor national title run later this summer.

"I just want to ride, and this series is getting so big and there’s so much talent in the 125 class now that I figured this would be the best place for me to train," said Ward, who has been at it since early January after three solid months of hunting all over the country.

"I checked with the AMA and I’m actually eligible for the next three years. Besides, you have John Dowd riding in that class, 125 National Champion Mike Brown, 125 World Champion Grant Langston, plus Chad Reed, who just got second in the 250 GP class over in Europe, and Buddy Antunez, who’s been racing for as long as I have. I know that some people might be thinking, ‘Let the kids ride that class,’ but those guys aren’t exactly kids, either!

"The only bad news now is that I can’t ride the Lake Okeechobee GNCC," laughed Ward, who last year used the GNCC off-road series and selected Southeastern woods events to prep for the motocross season. In fact, when Larry checked in with us, he was training with off-road stars Randy Hawkins and his South Carolina-based Yamaha factory squad, which includes Barry Hawk and Jason Raines.

"If he does really well, don’t tell anyone he was training with us off-road guys because we don’t have time to train any other motocrossers," joked Hawkins. "We’ve got our own series to get ready for!"

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
AWESOME!!! Big Bird rocks (especially because he rides for Moto XXX - DGY!) :confused:

Glad to hear that he's gonna compete in the talent-loaded 125 East. I was really bummed when Fonz took the 3rd overall 125 outdoor spot from Larry Ward in the very last moto at Steel City in '01 (Ward had a bike problem). Larry rode his butt off all year (I was at his win at Red Bud :) ) Good luck to him (great to see all these "old" guys still hanging tough)

super rat

Ass Clown at DRN
Mar 31, 2001
Where is all of the outrage? Dowd, Ward, Langston,Antunez, Reed and most of all Brown. Are they going to make these guys drag sand bags behind their bikes? I'm just busting. Go get'em Big Bird.

Top Bottom