dparker

Aug 31, 2004
Well it started out just like any other Saturday that my son Al and I go riding. We're up at 6 am loading gear and bikes, getting ready for our 2 hour trip to our favorite riding spot, Buffalo Range in Ottawa IL. It's really a fun place with a variety of riding, 2 MX tracks, a big sand pit, and lots of woods. Al really likes to ride the tracks, so unless my brother Curtis comes we mostly ride the tracks. I’m okay with this because we have a blast chasing each other around trying to pass each other up as we get better at each jump we try to clear. Two days before we went riding there had been a lot of rain, so the clay track was pretty sloppy in the morning. Both of us had a few get off’s in the a.m. mostly, skidding into banked turns and having the back wheel slide out. No big deal, so we stopped for lunch and we’re both looking forward to the afternoon because the clay was getting really sticky, perfect traction!!!
So we started riding after lunch and we were having a great time. You could rip though every corner because it was like our tires were glued to the track. So I'm crushing through this one corner, heading for an 8 foot drop off jump, then to a long straight away into a new jump the track had just put in. It's not big, only a 3 or 4 foot take off that sends you far, not high, my favorite kind. I land the drop off and start heading for the new jump. I have about 150 yards of straight away before the jump, so I hit the gas and throw some roost at whoever is unlucky enough to get behind me. Did I mention my ride? “the most excellent YZ 250” this bike is a pure rocket ship on 2 wheels. I put gas in it but it feels more like jet fuel. Anyway, back to the Story!
If you would have looked inside my helmet at this point, you would have seen a 45 year old crazed speed junkie, who momentarily forgot his age and responsibilities, and who was grinning ear to ear. So, as I set up for the jump, I hear one of those big 450 thumpers coming behind me real fast. He was on my left, which is where I wanted to be. This was the best line for the take off. But I didn’t want to cut this guy off, so I decided to hold my line. Looking back, this was a very bad idea. It turns out that my line of choice was still a swamp. So I thought “okay, lean back, hit the gas, and go for it!” second bad choice. I hit the jump face and started to do a beautiful tail whip—unintentionally! However--anyone know how to finish a tail whip? I don't think the back wheel is supposed to be out of center with the front when you land. I hit the ground, and all the slow motion thinking started to happen, “This isn’t going to be good. I'm really busy at work next week. Wife is going to make me sell the bikes (CRAP!! My wife already hates the bikes.) Did I send in that life insurance check?
Next thing I know I am on the ground hands and knees trying to breathe thinking “it’s not working- don’t panic, at least your on your hands and Knees.” Okay, try for another breath, good that one worked, but did not feel right; try another, okay but only a real small one. I kept going with the real small ones. I was okay!
Next, I started checking body parts; everything was still functional except the left shoulder. My right hand reached up to check, “this doesn’t feel right and it really hurts”, I thought to myself. By that time a couple of “Good Samaritans” stopped to check me out. They helped me off the track and then my son Al saw us; I must say, “He kept his cool and handled the situation very well.” He got the track guys to come and pick me up and take me back to the car. Then he got all of our bikes loaded and the gear packed up. We headed back towards home, a two hour drive back to the hospital. Net results:

• 1 broken collar bone = a tedious trip to the ER.
• 7 Broken ribs and a partially collapsed lung=
2 nights in the ICU.
• 1 day at the track with my son= Priceless!!

Curtsey of MasterCard . . . = )

P.S. The YZ is okay, no damage; I however, am damaged.

3KDXXR2

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 3, 2002
Did he mention that we are really busy at work and I am on vaction this week :yikes: Heal up fast my Brother.I saw him at the hospital that night, he didnt look good or sound good.
I cant believe he drove 2hrs to get to a hospital near home,but everyone around is glad he did.
Curtis

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
Glad to hear the YZ made it out in one piece...... :)

I cant believe he drove 2hrs to get to a hospital near home,but everyone around is glad he did.

Is he related to Ted Perhaps???

3KDXXR2

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 3, 2002
Don, he just wanted to make sure he didnt make it difficult for his wife to visit. I think the Hospital is better were he went than out in the middle of the corn feilds.

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
Sounds like you are in good spirits despite the discomfort :cool:

We'll pray for a speedy recovery :nod:

dparker

Aug 31, 2004
The Pain was was an 8 to 9 on the ride in the gator to get off the track and back to the car. Only 5 to 6 on the way to the hospital until Al was to hard on the brakes or the gas then a definite spike back to 9. :yikes:

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
3KDXXR2 said:
Curtis

That doesnt suprise me - didnt he drive 8 hours to get Als wrist looked at 2 years ago? :p

Doug - hope you are OK...are you and Al still coming up later this month? (you can be our designated drinker perhaps? :nod: )

dparker

Aug 31, 2004
Mike
If I can sleep on my back Al and I will be there for sure. We have been waiting for camp chaos for 2 years. We had a total
blast the first time. Still sleeping in a chair untill the ribs get better.

Doug

Top Bottom