Late model two-stroke 250, KX or YZ?

carlbielke

Jul 4, 2002
Hi, I just sold my trusty '99 KX 250 and I'm looking for a low hour '06 or '07 two-stroke but I'm going crazy trying to decide between the YZ and the KX. MXA (Motocross Action Magazine) seems to really hate the KX but I think they're a bit biased.

Here's some info on me:
1) 6'1" and 200 pounds wo gear
2) Novice racer, 37 years
3) MX/SX tracks, woods, with friends type of riding

I'm not really a spode, but not a full on racer either, just trying to keep in shape and get my adrenaline kick now and then!

I really want to keep this bike forever, I tried a 2.004 Yamaha but it felt a bit cramped. Then again, it was set up for a short rider so I'm not sure if all Yamaha's are like that.

Any input will be greatly appreciated, especially if you have ridden the 06-07 KX and YZ,
Regards,
Carl

kawicam250

I bleed green!
Aug 7, 2006
the mags arent your best bet when it comes decision time for your next bike, then again, you probably wont be dissapointed with either.

it will come down to what you prefer and what you feel most comfortable on. go sit on a stock KX and YZ at your local dealer( if you have one) and furthermore, you could try to find a buddy who has a KX or YZ that is relatively new. if you want stiffer suspension, more top-end power, and a taller bike, then get a YZ. if you want a more plush suspension setup, more low-end/torque, and a better handling bike, then get the KX.

bottom line, theyre both great bikes, quite possibly the best of the 250 smokers, so i would probably base your opinion on which one is cheaper in your area. both can be modified to fit you, but itll usually maintain that same feel that it came with. good luck with your choice :nod:

carlbielke

Jul 4, 2002
Thanks Kawicam 250.
Do you think spare parts are going to be harder to find for the KX than for the YZ in like five to ten years from now?
I read somewhere (MXA) that Yamaha was the only manufacturer to increase sales with its two-strokes in the last year or two.
I'm kind of partial to the KX but I like the YZ a lot too, and it does seem to be easier to find a slightly used one on that big auction site that rhymes with e-may. ;)

kawicam250

I bleed green!
Aug 7, 2006
carlbielke said:
Thanks Kawicam 250.
Do you think spare parts are going to be harder to find for the KX than for the YZ in like five to ten years from now?
I read somewhere (MXA) that Yamaha was the only manufacturer to increase sales with its two-strokes in the last year or two.
I'm kind of partial to the KX but I like the YZ a lot too, and it does seem to be easier to find a slightly used one on that big auction site that rhymes with e-may. ;)

this is because Kawasaki has only been making very small( if any) changes to their 2T's for the 2-3 years, unlike Yamaha and KTM. if youre more partial and/or feel more comfortable on a KX, then go for it. but if you want a Yamaha, then get it. like i said before, both are great bikes.

carlbielke

Jul 4, 2002
Thanks Kawicam250!
I'm looking for either one now, as you say, they're both great so either one will do nicely. Now I'll be looking for a pristine one but with a little use, I saw a KX 250 (brand new) for 4250, and while that's more than I want to pay I'm sure something will come up soon. If not, then I guess that autumn should be better as some people get rid of their rides for the winter months, well maybe not in Florida and California but I guess that will be more of a buyers market. Thanks again for your input, very appreciated.

kawicam250

I bleed green!
Aug 7, 2006
carlbielke said:
Thanks Kawicam250!
I'm looking for either one now, as you say, they're both great so either one will do nicely. Now I'll be looking for a pristine one but with a little use, I saw a KX 250 (brand new) for 4250, and while that's more than I want to pay I'm sure something will come up soon. If not, then I guess that autumn should be better as some people get rid of their rides for the winter months, well maybe not in Florida and California but I guess that will be more of a buyers market. Thanks again for your input, very appreciated.

you said you found a brand new KX250( assuming its an '07), the only difference between the '06 and '07 KX250 is the type of tires used, the 07's tires grip better in wet or muddy conditions.

ive always found that spring time is the best season to buy or sell a bike, everyone is starting to ride more since its warmer.

if you found a new '06 KX250 for less than the '07 you mentioned( say, $3800), thatd be a decent deal.

carlbielke

Jul 4, 2002
Bought an almost new CRF450 instead!

Well, long story short, I decided to go with a fourstroke instead, I spent about the same as I would have spent on a brand new smoker and got myself a 2007 CR450R with low hours. It belonged to a good friend's mechanic.

Thanks for your input, even if I went another route I really appreciate the info I got, I'll post again after riding the 450.

Top Bottom