Late Night Drama w/Earthworm

Late-Night Drama w/Earthworm

Okay, I got my bike, I got boots, I got my tech manual, trailer, protective gear, xtra spark plug and 53 sunny degrees this Saturday. "What's the problem?" you say? Well, I'M WORRIED THAT I'M GOING TO LOOK LIKE THE BIGGEST GOON. What if people laugh at me b/c my gear is whack or I my bike won't start or SOMETHING HORRIBLE LIKE THAT?! Goffy EVS neckbrace, yeah I got one. Do people get nervous b4 they go ride? I've been waiting for this day for so long but I ain't stoked at all. :|

I'm stressed people, yeah, I'm a noob for sure but if I step on the scene by myself and just take dirt samples all day I don't think I'm gonna be too happy with the situation, especially since I have to go alone.

I don't know squat about riding bikes, so I'm looking for advice. Yes, I've already heard "grow a pair" thank u very much. :laugh:

P.S. I make up for my neurotic tendencies by buying my friends drinks and supporting Dirtrider.Net. :thumb:

Last edited:

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Hey don't worry about it! We've all been there and we'd all hate you if you learned to ride without making a few silly mistakes. How boring would it be if your friends had nothing to tease you about? Heck in a year or two you'll be the one telling the story for laughs.

Just relax and go riding. You'll pick it up faster than you think.

I used to wait until everyone else was out of the parking lot before letting my clutch out, just so nobody could watch me stall it 5 times.

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Go out and have some fun :thumb: WHo cares what others think of what you have, everybody started somewhere at one time or another :yeehaw: Just feel lucky you weren't riding back when neon colors were in :laugh: :laugh:

biglou

I used to get that nervous feeling also when I first started four years back. There's an intimidation factor from the bike, feeling like you're being watched (you're not), etc. It's natural. I also used to have to ride for a while before I had the feel and familiarity of what the bike would do and how it would respond. After a while, it will all start to feel natural and the nervousness will subside. Plus, as you've probably already found out, dirtbikers are the friendliest bunch you'll find. You'll get advice and encouragement, not ridicule, regardless of your ability. :thumb:

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
Dude, take a deep breath......relax......feel better?

Go out and ride your own ride. DON'T think that you have to look like everyone else out on the trail or track...in time you will. Think about what matters, being safe, using good judgment, and having fun. Do those three things and you're guaranteed a good time.

rickyd said:
Just feel lucky you weren't riding back when neon colors were in :laugh: :laugh:
So true, so true but that's what everyone else was wearing too.
Lou i still get that nervous feeling but he's right, you'll get nothing but encouragement from dirtbikers. :thumb: that you'll hear, at least :p

Thanks for posting this. I have been out of the game a long time and feel the same way. But I just remember that everyone else is so busy with their own ride they dont really have time to think about me ( or you ) very much. :) Besides, I made a friend and he was out a long time. He understands and that helps a lot! Very nice to make a friend at the track and tell them whats up and have them take up your slack.

Keep us all posted? :)

BEEF706

Sponsoring Member
MEW, we all do silly things sometimes, I seem to do them when people are actually watching. Don't worry about the gear stc, just have fun, and tell us what the dirt tastes like. JUST so you feel better I'll tell you, once I showed up for a desert ride with some fast guys and I really wantedohd to impress e. I washed the bike, took my chain off and cleaned it, got my best gear on and went out to the appointed meeting place. As I'm getting my clean shiny (armor all) bike all warmed up I saw one pointing my way and shaking his head, I thought the MX guy is gonna have a hard time impressing anyone today. Then Terry (my buddy who owns a Honda shop) comes over to me and says "Larry you would go a whole lot faster if you had a chain on that bike" DOH!!!!

:eek: You're bound to have a better day than that :thumb:

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
MEW: Go have fun!! Get all that kooky newb stuff out of the way and then remember that even a few years down the road you will still do newb goonie stuff like forget to turn on your gas or stall the engine or miss a gear or just plain crash in slow motion. I think a lot of people you view as "seasoned riders" all do that stuff even now.

Ride safe, have fun!!

biglou

Lessee, there was the infamous, "My brand new 426's tranny is not engaging" episode shortly before I spyed my chain laying on the garage floor whilst waiting for my new gold chain to arrive...

Then there was the endo into the washed out ditch last summer over in Moberly for the first night MX series race, and oh, so many people saw that...

And, way, way back in the old days (2001 I think it was...) I had perfected the "zero-mile-per-hour crash". Always fun for the ridding buddies...

:joke:

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
BEEF706 said:
"Larry you would go a whole lot faster if you had a chain on that bike" DOH!!!!
Thats a good one Beef!!! :thumb: I had two friends show up for the Hollister Nationals last week (4 years+ on dirtbikes plus many more on street) and they FORGOT THEIR HELMETS!!! Doh!

I once pulled up to my vehicle after a ride and promptly fell over. This was in front of about 12 people.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
You'll do fine. You've got a lot more natural coordination and ability than I do. The speed will come with experience. The best part is that (almost) all of that experience is so much fun!

Besides, I don't think you could top the loopout followed by the lay-down-doughnut!! :yeehaw:

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
rickyd said:
...Just feel lucky you weren't riding back when neon colors were in :laugh:
That's just great. When did they go out? Yet another stupid eBay purchase....

slo' mo

slower than slow...
don't be afraid to tell people yoou are new to the sport. You will find others are very willing to help with tips if you just ask. I had to have an 11 yr. old on a KX65 help me over a double before. Think of how humbling that one can be. Fact is, he was very helpful and tried to get me to try a triple. I started to drag him off his bike and do a DV on him, but couldn't catch him :think:

Your words of encouragement are much appreciated--Thanks a lot. I should print this thread and tape it inside my trailer so I can laugh when I limp back at the end of the day :)

You've got a lot more natural coordination and ability than I do.
I'm not so sure Gomer, but since you were there at the beginning I'll take your word for it. Heck, if I survived the embarrassment of that first epic getoff I guess I'll be okay (man I wish I had that on tape).