zcookie49

Seven OUT!
Dec 21, 2000
Does anyone know what the clear liquid is in a Lava Lamp? I unpacked some yesterday and noticed that one has leaked out half of the fluids. Just wondering if I can add anything back to it before throwing it away. Is it water? I think the other is a wax (which is the lava).
Thanks for any input.

B

biglou

I've got an original Lava Lamp brand and I still have the box and instructions. Unfortunately, they don't give any specs about what it contains. They also warn against adding any fluids, etc. They mention the empty space at the top of the glass vessel to allow for expansion. On mine, it is about 3/8" below the bottom of the top plastic cap. I suppose if you can confirm what the fluid is, you can add some, just be sure to leave enough space at the top for expansion.

B

biglou

Ah, the web is a wonderful place! Here's what I found initially-A story about a guy in England that suffered accute renal failure from injesting the liquid contents of a lava lamp! The guy had a history of alcohol abuse. lots of big words, followed by: "polyethylene glycol ".

I also found this page: http://www.oozinggoo.com/howto.html

Click the link to the patent on the original lamp, should have ingredients listed there.

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
"oozingoo" LOL :)

Isn't polyethylene glycol the stuff used in water cooling systems for applications such as HTST pasteurizers?? Also, MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheets) have good information specific to human hazards upon ingestion, exposure, etc...

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Originally posted by GETMETOCA
Isn't polyethylene glycol the stuff used in water cooling systems for applications such as HTST pasteurizers?? Also, MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheets) have good information specific to human hazards upon ingestion, exposure, etc...
(watching facts go over head . . .) um, I prefer the term "oozing goo"

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
Wow... too much technical information for a lava lamp thread. Just turn it on and pass around your favorite mind altering substance.

Like WOW man.

zcookie49

Seven OUT!
Dec 21, 2000
Thanks for the link Big Lou.
Man, I didnt know that they were that high - tech. With the cost of them around $30 bucks or so, Probably will just toss this one since I have a second that still works.

Top Bottom