Lawn Mower Recommendations

B

biglou

My dad is having to replace his 1977 Jacobson mulching mower out of necessity (lol!). He only uses it to trim around where the riding mower won't get, so in reality, it won't see that severe of service which leads me to believe that even the cheapest mower will do. Anyway, I told him I'd survey the site for opinions on the following:

1. Wal-Mart, MTK mower with Honda 150 or 160cc engine, self-propelled, $275 range

2. Wal-Mart MTK mower with B&S 6.75HP engine, self-propelled, $220 range

3. Toro Personal Pace mower with Tecumseh 6.5HP engine, self-propelled, $369-$399 range (pull-start/electric start)

Any recomendations? Good or bad comments on any of these? Any other suggestions? Self propelled is not necessary, just happened to be a standard feature on the models we were talking about. Many thanks in advance. :cool:

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
I've had Honda's top of the line mower. Good stuff, expensive and IMHO, the Honda's don't have enough HP.

I've had the Toro personal pace (don't waste $ on estart) for two years.

Very strong, light (Honda's are HEAVY), cuts great, manuvers really well, goes faster than the Honda. Highly recommended.

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
If you just want a trim mower I bought a cheapo from unnamed dept store (briggs motor) for about $90 bucks one time, used it to mow a full half acre for about 6 yrs and then sold it for $60. Wasn't self propelled...just your plain cheapo mower. If you really want to spend some money I'd get a lawn boy or Toro.

The last thing I'll ever buy again is any mower with the Sears name on it. Hard starting, no power, breaking down pieces of junk.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
4 Stroke Lawn Boy :cool:

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
Years ago Honda was top of the line. Now days their fairly weak...in stock form.

Its super easy to "Modify" the governor and let them rev. Obviously, life might be shortened, but if you get the 250.00 version Home depot sells, who cares???? Mine is going on its third year of High Performance without a hitch. I only use Mobile 1 in the engine. Embarrasingly enough, the mower most often runs on two stroke race fuel mixed at 32:1. I hate having unmixed gas around when I own two strokes. The poor mower would not know what to do with straight gas.

With the modified governor, mine will turn about 8000 rpm. It cuts long, wet grass, and can almost substitute for a street sweeper. I only have to dump the bag when I want to.

if it blows up within the first year, unmodify and return to home depot.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I hated that Lawnboy stopped making 2-smokers. I will keep mine alive as long as I can, and I can get rebuild kits for it too.

But, if it does go balls up...I will more than likely try their 4 stroke offering.

FWIW...I found a mower like Eddies at a yard sale once, only it had BIG back wheels. I gave it to my father to use for mowing around fence rows and such, and he stated that it was the easiest mower to push and maneuver than any he had tried before.

evenslower

~SPONSOR~
N. Texas SP
Nov 7, 2001
My Honda is on its 7th year.So far an oil change and air filter every year, one spark plug and a file on the blades occasionally. Its not their most expensive but it does have 3 sp which I'm glad I went with. No complaints.

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
Lawnboy does too still make two-smokes.

Zerotact

~SPONSOR~
Dec 10, 2002
I get about one summer on a set of rings, but the neighbors leave me alone..

Attachments

• turbo mower.jpg
    turbo mower.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 165

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
Zerotact said:
I get about one summer on a set of rings, but the neighbors leave me alone..
You should really consider upgrading those wheels. :)

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I had the same delema last year. My old Snapper was on it's way out after 16 years and I wanted another long lived mower. Since the majority of the push mowing is just in areas I can't get with the tractor and my kid was going to be pushing it to earn $$ I wanted something light but bombproof. I found a place in Pittsburgh that had a bunch of the last 2 stroke Lawnboys with the offset wheels and cast aluminum decks and snagged one. BEST money I ever spent on a yard tool! It's like a CR500AF for mowing! I can also run the old premix in it from the CR to get that fresh cut grass/moto smell in the air. You might try and pick up a used one from the auction site and I'm sure it will last a long time if it's just doing trimming type stuff plus it's a 2 stroke so a rebuild is both easy and pretty inexpensive.

In my searches I found out a lot about current mowers. As noted the Honda's are underpowered these days. The Toro self propelled system is pretty lame and Lawnboy and Toro are now one in the same. If I HAD to get a new mower and it was a 4T I think I'd seriously consider one of the Troybilt units or maybe a Husky.

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
Had a Honda do 15 years of hard service!
I'd avoid anything sold at Home Depot and Sears!!

B

biglou

Interesting stuff here. I have a Murray from Wal-Mart that I got from my sister about 8 years ago, so it's 10 years old. I've checked the oil in it twice. Never changed it. I sharpen the blade once every 2 years or so. It burns whatever gas or premix combo I pour into it. Starts first pull even after sitting all winter. Probably cost $85 new. I mow my 1/3 acre every week in the season, and it just keeps on ticking...

As for not buying from Home Depot, why not? They sell some of the same mowers as other places. The Toro from HD can't be any worse than the Toro from somewhere else, can it? Or is it their house brand (if they even have one) that isn't a good choice?

I know someone with a Toro PP and they love it. It is the most expensive choice of the ones we're looking at, though.

Thanks for all the input, I've printed it off along with specs, prices and pictures of the mowers mentioned and will give him the info tonight so he can go over them and decide. :cool:

AgentOrange

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 18, 2000
Lou,

I have the Toro personal pace 6.5hp and it has worked well for years. I think the toro's do a good job even if it is wet out. If you or Jack want to test it, just come by and get it.

Oops, i guess that might be me you're talking about in the last post.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I dug up the link to the place I got my LB. http://catalog.ehgriffith.com/ If it's something you are considering you might call them to see if they have any sitting around. Shipping was like $30 for mine.

DWreck

~SPONSOR~
Apr 14, 2002
I have a 16 year old Toro with the Suzuki 4-cycle engine. If it doesn't start on the first or second pull its out of gas. My dad has one of the new high dollar personal pace with the Briggs engine and it is awesome. I'm not sure about the Tecumseh engine, the old ones were not too impressive. Otherwise I'm sold on Toro mowers.

junkjeeps

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2001
Lou

I work on a lot of mowers this time of year and from experience, I'd go with the Briggs motor. Tecumseh engines don't hold up in the long run. Their carbs are very finicky. Honda is a solid motor, but I have trouble getting parts and the ones I find are $$. Not trouble getting them, it's their numbering system that's screwy. Just because you have your model number doesn't mean your going to get the right part.

I did see a neat mower at Sam's club a few weeks back. It had a stainless steel stamped deck with a 6 HP Honda engine, a bagger and I believe it was self propelled for about $275. I thought that was a very reasonable price. That's the first SS deck I've seen. Should outlast the motor for sure. Good luck with whatever you get. Briggs is the way to go.

Mark

Lorin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 25, 1999
Maybe a little out of your price range, but the john deere mower is amazing. Has a 6hp Kawasaki motor (only Kawasaki at my house), and a five speed tranny that you could run behing. All aluminum deck, plus the ability to disengage the clutch while emptying the bag without killing the motor. The motor actually has an oil pump instead of the standard wet sump motor. I am really happy with the mower, but like you, tend to really spend too much time on my toys. I change the oil, plug, air filter, regularly, and (I hate to admit it) even wax it twice a year. I figure if I am going to have it a long time, it might as well look good, huh!

SVTMc-G

Apr 1, 2006
Here's the best advice. Buy a Murray from wal mart. Briggs and stratton...plain and simple. $90. I've had mine for 4 years and I have had to do ZERO to it. It just fired up last weekend after the 3rd pull. It sat with the same gas from last summer in it all winter too. no stabil. My dad has had his for 7 years...one plug...and she's STILL ticking! Save money..those things run a WHILE!
Mc-G

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
MrLuckey said:
The last thing I'll ever buy again is any mower with the Sears name on it. Hard starting, no power, breaking down pieces of junk.
Odd, I got a Craftsman/Honda and haven't had a lick of trouble with it. Starts easy, does the job, changed the oil once in 5 years.

of course, *I* don't mow the lawn. That's my Delicate Flower's job. My job is supervising with a cold beer. :)

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
VintageDirt said:
Lawnboy does too still make two-smokes.
Wes,
As far as I know, the standard push model Lawnboys now all have a Tecumseh 4-cycle, and the higher end push mowers have Honda OHV/C engines.

I'm fairly certan the 2-cycles are a thing of the past.:(

Top Bottom