Lawn Mower Recommendations

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
Jaybird said:
I'm fairly certan the 2-cycles are a thing of the past.:(
Alls I know Jay is what I read on the internet (and it's all true). So according to this if you get the duraforce engine in the "gold pro" or "silver pro" series, you've got a two-smoker.

junkjeeps

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2001
biglou said:
As for not buying from Home Depot, why not? They sell some of the same mowers as other places. The Toro from HD can't be any worse than the Toro from somewhere else, can it? Or is it their house brand (if they even have one) that isn't a good choice?

The mowers at HD or Lowe's aren't the same mowers you would buy at the dealerships or small shops. John Deere for sure is different. Thinner gauge metals and cheaper components-wheels, switches, so the big guys can sell them cheaper. Go to a JD dealership and look around and then go compare at HD. Same goes for Husky chainsaws at Lowe's. Go to a small engine shop that sells Husky and then go compare to the one's at Lowe's. Not the same saw.

If all he's looking for is a trim mower, get the cheapo $125-$150 MTD at Wallyworld with a Briggs 5HP on it. It will last just as long as the rest of them if you take care of it. Change the oil once a season and clean the air filter and plug. Running Stabil or some equivalent will also help in the off season. Keeping it inside will help you the most. The weather is what kills most of them the fastest.

Mark

B

biglou

Thanks for all the info fellas. For what he's going to be doing with it, I'll steer him toward the Briggs w/rear bagger at Wal-Mart. :cool:

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Wes,
I got my info from a Lawboy dealer/fix-it place for the mechanic, and we know how mechanics mislead us. :)

Anywho...I own a Silver Series mower, and it was discontinued in 2003 but may still be available at some places for purchase. And I believe the Gold Series is still available at a few retailers, but I am fairly certain it was discontinued as far as mfg goes last year (2005).

I do know that the places I frequent, that sell LawnBoys, do not have the 2-cycles anymore. (shrug)

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Wow...I looked at the LawnBoy pricing.....they have left my league.
I think I wll once again be a Briggs man once my 2smoke gives all the way up.
Wes, what in the world would you get rid of to make room for a new Maico? :think: (Lol...)

I don;t want to start another thread on the mower issue, so I'll ask here...

My Craftsman rider cuts for crap. Apparently one blade is higher than the other, or more probably it is out of level. I may have hit something way back with it, but I simply can't remember doing so.
Anywho...it is NOT the best looking path with one side being ever so slightly higher than the other.
Has anyone else experienced this, and is there anything I can do to fix it? I'm thinking I may have to take the deck off and start trueing on the bench. Proably use a beater and a acyt toruch. But before I perfrom major surgery, is there something I am missing that causes this?
I'm fairly certain it is not the guide wheels on the deck causing it.

junkjeeps

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2001
Jaybird

Have you removed the blades and checked them? Could be a bad/bent blade. There should also be some adjustment for the deck on the deck hangers. Usually at least an inch of travel on the treads of the hangers. I know some of the Murray riders have a set up where you put the rider on level ground and loosen/tighten a few wing nuts and it self levels. Seeing as Craftsman doesn't make any of their own stuff, you might possibly have one like that. One other thing to check is blade spindle bearings. Let us know what you find.

Mark

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I put new blades on, even though the others seemed fine. I also switched the blades to the other side. Same thing.

It is like the right side is not in the same plane as the left side blade. Off just a few degrees, sort of leaving a higher bit of grass towards the middle. The whole bearing housing may be a bit bent within the deck itself.

I'm going to remove the deck and start measuring for true.
It may well have been something I did, as I have a few areas that has some unruly terrain and I have had it stuck in a ditch a time or two.
I think I chucked out about $1600 for this POS. Oh well.

(don't buy any Craftsman riders from Egay...as mine may be on there soon.) :)

junkjeeps

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2001
Depending on how much you have to cut ZTR's are really nice. I have an old Dixon of the cone drive era. It's cut my mowing time in half. I mow about 2 acres every 2 weeks. My old lawn tractor used to take me about 2-1/2 hours, now with the Dixon, a little over an hour. Dixie Chopper makes a nice machine too. All stainless steel. If I had money to burn, that's what I'd own.

Zoomer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 17, 2000
Jay
Put the mower on your garage floor, and set the deck in the mowing position. measure blade tip distance to the floor in the straight forward position and side to side. This will let you know where your problem lies. all measurements should be the same with a level deck. look for bent hangers, loosened bolts, older cable style, cable off the wheel, wore out hanger brackets. Air the tires to the same pressures. Typically front 12-15#, Rear 10-14 #.

:cool: to those that suggested Briggs, they pay my bills!
:nener: to those that suggested brand X's

Be careful of the units with Look alike engines on them from off shore (read CHINA). A couple OEM manufactures are heavy in to these engines, and also supply some of the major box stores.

Most all engines run well as long as there is adequate oil, they all blow up with out it!
Maintainance problems are the major reason engines fail, and maintenace is not warrantable.

Zoomer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 17, 2000
7 27:cool: keep oil in it and it will last a long time, even if it is a"price conscious" model!!!!!

Jay make sure theres no spacers missing or added on the quill assy.

B

biglou

Just got back from the mower purchase: Troy Built, rear bagger, self-propelled, big rear wheels, 6.75 hp Briggs. It's bright red and shiny. Now I want one... :laugh:

Too bad I just dropped coin on a new sliding glass door! :pissed:

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Cool.
Do they even make side-baggers anymore?

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I used to date a two-bagger.

Lokair

Feb 2, 2006
OK Push mowers are free, I have a bud who works on the local garbage crew. He hooked me up with one two years ago, somebody threw it out and all it needed was spark plug, I sharpened the blade and got a plug outta my tool box(not sure its the right one). It works great, spring time is when alot of people throw out good mowers, keep your eyes open. Now I do have a large riding mower also 1952 to3o Furguson with a woods 6ft finish deck , I live on one acre and i do all my grass in 1 hours, every thing including the triming. Saves time for riding, hehehehe.
Lok

B

biglou

Ricer, lol! Yeah, Lok, I got me a Wal-Mart Murray. Like I said, all I do is sharpen the blade every two years, check the oil every 5-6 years, and she runs like a top. Takes me 25 minutes to cut my 1/3 acre. 35 if I trim. :) I just have mower envy, that's all. ;)

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
biglou said:
Ricer, lol! Yeah, Lok, I got me a Wal-Mart Murray. Like I said, all I do is sharpen the blade every two years, check the oil every 5-6 years, and she runs like a top. Takes me 25 minutes to cut my 1/3 acre. 35 if I trim. :) I just have mower envy, that's all. ;)

My parents have one of those MTD Wal-Mart riders...that thing has been around almost 14years and hasn't had a problem yet. It runs off whatever gas (or premix) is laying around. I can't recall the last time the oil was actually changed. I know it's been checked...he wants it do die and it will not die!! Even the battery is going on 7yrs...a little long for a mower battery....

Top Bottom