Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
For those that don't read the threads in the DW forum or aren't familiar my son Troy (LazBoy) had a badly broken Tibia and Fibula recently. Today was his second follow up appointment it's been one day short of 4 weeks since the accident.

The Doc says everything is going right on schedule and feels the healing process is right where we should be, I was concerned because I thought on todays X-Ray I wouldn't see as big of a gap at the main break on the Tibia but hey he's the one who went to Med School. After taking X-rays and having a quick peak Troy was thrilled to learn that the full length (hip to toe) plaster cast could come off and we could go with just a lower leg fiberglass cast. Troy then tried to negotiate for a walking cast but apparently he still needs lessons in negotiating :laugh: Troy doesn't share his father's sense of curiousity because he wanted no part of looking at the pins sticking out of his leg while they changed the cast.

So all seems to be going according to plan which means 4 weeks with this cast and then 4 more weeks with a walking cast to complete the 12 week healing process before he starts PT.

Once again Troy and I would like to thank all the folks who sent well wishes in the DW thread and in PM's to me.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Even though the x-ray still shows a big gap, bet on the fact that "bone glue" is forming in the gap. It isn't until that glue calcifies that you'll see it on an x-ray.

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor, but have broken a few bones, and do stay at Holiday Inns...

Tommy O.

Mar 26, 2002
Three weeks ago I shattered my tibia and lower half of the knee. 3 hrs of surgery gave me a metal plate with 6 screws holding that in place, another 2 screws holding a large piece of bone in place, and a wire wrapped around the top of the tibia. The bone was broken into 10 pieces and the ACL was torn completely away from the tibia. The Dr. said the glue will take 2-4 months to set completely. No weight on it until then, 6 months or more before walking again. I am glad that I got a Bledsoe Brace instead of any type of cast. Now if I could only get a full night sleep without bumping it.

Chili

Apr 9, 2002
After watching the agony my kid was in for the first 3 weeks I can't even imagine how you feel. Hope you heal up quick and proper!

Tommy O.

Mar 26, 2002
How's your kids recovery coming? I hope that things are going well for him. My recovery is progressing nicely, I can bend it close to 130 degrees without much pain. Bending seems easier than getting it straight. The worst part of all of this is not being able to walk, I'm a very active person and sitting around just kills me! My next check up is Thurs. so I'll find out how the glue is working. Pain was severe for a few weeks but it is less and less every day. I'll have to get my knee scoped around the 6th month and possibly the wire removed then. Some time after that onto PT. I hope by exercising it continually I won't have to go to PT much if at all. Good luck to LazBoy in his recovery.

Chili

Apr 9, 2002
Tommy O, he goes for another follow up this coming thursday so we will get more feedback from the Doc at that time. Pain is no longer an issue and with the shorter fiberglass cast he is much more mobile.

Chili

Apr 9, 2002
Week # 6 Progress report.

Well Troy's negotiating skills must be getting better because he talked the Doc into a walking cast 2 weeks earlier than scheduled.
Pins were removed and the cast replaced with a walking cast that the Doc says must stay on a minimum of 4 weeks. All in all Doc says all is well and if he only has this cast the 4 weeks we will finish the cast process 2 weeks early.

pyrofreak

Apr 9, 2003
I guess doctors cant say no to kids. When i broke my arm and my wrist i got my cast off and a splint put on about 2 or 3 weeks early. I couldnt stand that shoudler to fingers cast, i couldnt imagine a thigh to toe cast! I hope he gets better and recovery is quick.

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Hey Chili - glad to hear things with Troy are coming along ahead of schedule! :thumb:

Chili

Apr 9, 2002
Week #10 Progress report.

Today started with a very positive LazyBoy talking about how he was sure the Doc was gonna let him out of the cast 2 weeks ahead of schedule, what a difference a few hours can make to someone's attitude :eek:

Doc took the cast off and they X-rayed and found that the bone (tibia) had shifted slightly. Seems the Doc may be second guessing if removing the pins ahead of schedule was a good plan at this point. The Doc measured the shift and it falls within the parameters that he feels it will cause no issues with bone alignment, leg length or anything like that down the road so bottom line is 4 more weeks in the cast minimum and then a reassessment.

Anyone want to put up a teenager for a few weeks? :laugh:

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Originally posted by Chili
Anyone want to put up a teenager for a few weeks? :laugh:
Ship him on down :aj: maybe our "SOUTHERN CLIMATE" :laugh: will get those bones healing
I bet he is down about that but at least he will be ready by next moto season

Chili

Apr 9, 2002
Week #13 Progress Report

Well due to scheduling issues Troy got in to see the Doc this week instead of next. This weeks X-rays show some definate improvement in bone growth although the one side still has a noticeable gap to bridge. It was loooking like another cast but the Doc expressed some concern for how stiff Troy's ankle was getting and decided to go to a walking boot (see pic at bottom of post). This boot while protecting the leg like a cast will allow ankle movement to help start the PT process and get the ankle moving. The amount of ankle movement allowed is adjustable as you progress in your recovery. The nice thing with this setup is that it is removeable for sleeping and bathing and Troy can start some mild PT for range of motion etc ahead of being completely healed up.

Five weeks in this gizmo and we are hopefully ready to roll at that point.

Attachments

• lboot_t.jpg
    lboot_t.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 88

Chili

Apr 9, 2002
Week #18 Progress and hopefully Final Report!

18 weeks ago today for the accident. Troy saw the Doc yesterday and he is finally hardware free!! He can walk without the walking boot as long as he can tolerate the discomfort according to the Doc. He still has a very pronounced limp but PT is progressing nicely and range of motion etc is improving greatly.

Given I intend this to be the last post I make on this thread I just wanted to once again thank all the folks for the well wishes and support that Troy received during this injury.

LazyBoy

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2003
Yes thank you all for your support with this injury it is really appreciated and hope to see you all at Dirtweek 2004.

:yeehaw:

Top Bottom