CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
Everyone is invited to come and ride Turkey Bay with us on June 8. Turkey Bay is located in Land Between the Lakes in Western KY. It's 2500 acres and has over 150 miles of trails. Lots of rock...lots of hills...no mud! Most of the area can be handled by an average rider. Some areas are nasty! But us locals wouldn't even think about taking you guys through the nasty stuff. :p The nearest town is Aurora, KY. There are motels and cottages as well as campgrounds in Aurora. There is also on site primitive camping at Turkey Bay for $8 per night. A weekend riding permit is $15. Everyone come on out and let's have a good ride! If some of you would like to come down Friday and Sat., let me know and I'll take Friday off and we'll ride Friday too. If you have any questions, post or email me.

corey@vci.net

deagle

May 21, 2001
What's going on next weekend? Something special or you just trying to get a good size group together? I am all by myself this weekend and was thinking of going up Saturday or Sunday. I may have to wait until next weekend due to the fact I smashed my headpipe last wekend at The Trials Training Center. Talk about rocks, but had a great ride. Ordered new headpipe from Big Gun Tuesday and it may be on the porch when I get home today. I'll check back later.

CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
Just trying to get a group together. I'm unable to ride this weekend. I've got to install fork seals and front wheel bearings. Hopefully they will come in today. If not, I'll be rushing to get the bike ready for next weekend. :ugg:

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
I really want to get up to LBL to ride with you guys. I haven't been riding there in 10 years. Too bad that we move into our new house on that day. maybe later in the summer, I can swing a trip up there.

CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
Tim,
Any time you want to come up here and ride, just let me know. We've got an extra bedroom for ya if you don' want to ruff it.
:)

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
CAL,
Wish I could make it but I'll be at Summer Camp(OCS) but try and raise my brother, MOOSE95, he is on Ft. Campbell with another friend and booth have sleds. We where out there over Memorial Day weekend and the lower camping area past the dirt track was closed due to the lake rising. The trails were kinda greasy due to 2 inches of rain on Sat. but otherwise a kick a$$ ride all weekend.
Happy Trails,
PK

CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
Thanks for the link. Good pics. We were there Sat. and Monday over Mem. day weekend. Sat. was WAY too crowded, but Monday was great. I'll try to get ahold of your brother.

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
Corey,
Thanks for the mail. My brother Matt's email is hathornm@campbell.army.mil. I know what you mean about Sat. being too crowded! I have never seen so many people out there before! I'm sure it will be the same over the 4th and Labor Day too. Where were you located at? We were near the old Winibego with 6 tents up down near the water point next to the road.
About the link did you see the picks of me patching up Troy? Ouch......40mph body slide out on the flat.

Happy Trails.
Phillip

CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
Thanks for the email address.

We were parked right in front of the dumpsters, right next to the road. It was not a good place to be parked, but we were lucky to get there. I had to leave at about 1:30 Sat. to go sell my DRZ and they were turning people away and making people wait to come in.

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
CAL, We are thinking about it. I have been out of town on business and won't be back in StL to really visit with GSR until tonight but I think we both want to. Can you PM me with a phone number maybe?

gospeedracer

Chat Mom
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 8, 2000
CAL, can you give us directions? We're looking into saying somewhere in Aurora, but we don't know how to get to the riding area from there.

CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
Here are directions from I-24 to Aurora and Turkey Bay. If you need more, just let me know.

After you get onto I-24 E and get into KY, you need to get off on exit # 16 onto US 68. It will be about the third or fourth Paducah exit. Turn right onto US 68. Highway 68 runs all the way from I-24 through Aurora and LBL. You will run through a small town of Draffenville. It has 3 or 4 gas stations and 8-10 restaurants. Stay left at the Y. Aurora is approx. 18 miles from Draffenville. Just as you come into Aurora, US 68 and US 80 will merge together. US 68-80 runs through Aurora and into LBL. Once you are in Aurora, all the motels and cottages are right off the highway. There is a motel on the left, just past a C-a-t-h-o-l-i-c church where most out-of-towners stay. It has good trailer access.

To get to Turkey Bay from Aurora, just keep going through Aurora on US 68-80(it takes about 2 minutes to completely drive through Aurora). Just as you are leaving Aurora, you will come to a temporary 3 way stop. There is a lot of road construction going on. Turn left at that stop(which keeps you on US 68-80) and you will go over KY lake. Once your over the bridge, you will be in Land Between the Lakes Recreation area. Drive approx. 3 miles, and the road will widen with a turning lane to turn right, onto THE TRACE. Turn right onto THE TRACE. After turning onto the trace, you will come to an intersection. Turn left and drive south on the trace for approx. 1.5 miles. Turkey Bay will be on the right. You can see the guard shack from the Trace. You can’t miss it.

If you want, I can meet you guys in Aurora, and you can follow me to Turkey Bay.

Glad you and Eddie are coming! Make sure you bring plenty of water. It’s supposed to be near 90 deg. Sat.

Last edited:

CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
For anyone's information:

I'll be in a blue ranger splash. A buddy of mine will be in a green ford explorer with a KX 250. We always park in the parking lot on the RIGHT, just before you get to the May's Cemetery area(big open area on the left). It is about 1/2 mile down the road from the guard shack. If you don't see us in that lot, keep driving deeper into that parking lot(through the narrow area). We usually try to find a shady spot. If for some reason that lot is full, we'll be in the lot just across the road. I plan on getting there around 9:00 or so.

trsrdr

~SPONSOR~
Jul 12, 2001
Future of Turkey Bay - Rider's Meeting!

Hey locals or anyone who can attend. The powers that be are having a meeting to "discuss" the future of Turkey Bay. I believe it's set for July 13, but it's not well advertised. It seems the NFS has been sued by the tree huggers and they are trying to shut the area down. I know that we (dirt bikers) aren't doing much damage, but that doesn't matter to the enviro-whackos, we are all the same to them. It doesn't matter that you see deer, turkey and eagles in the area on a regular basis, to them we're just destroying things. Anyway, it would be a good idea to go to the meeting and be on our best behavior, including dress, and show what a good bunch of guys we are and relay the message to keep the place open. Thanks.

CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
Thanks for the heads up. I don't know why they don't advertise the meeting better? I went to the last one...only because I had been riding and was leaving. I saw a big group of people so I asked a ranger what was going on. I had no idea they even had meetings until then. I was impressed with the NFS questions and responses. They are definately on our side, but LBL limits their funds too much for them to do much about the conditions of Turkey Bay. I'll be there.

deagle

May 21, 2001
Have we determined how many are going to be there Saturday? Is anyone riding Sunday. We are probably coming up from Nashville. Blue Silverado with 2 KLX's on trailer.

CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
As of right now, we have 13 that have confirmed. There will possibly be 4 - 6 more. Should be a good ride! I got my fork seals in last night...picking up my tire today...I'm ready to ride! :aj:

Top Bottom