Leaking countershaft seal.. Stumped!

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
I just replaced a leaking/torn countershaft seal.. One ride and my new one is leaking now. I know I didn't tear it, I removed the sprocket and I see no reason why it's leaking, everything looks normal. The bike is a '00 KX250. Any ideas?

Thanks..

Cam

HLT

Sponsoring Member
Dec 15, 2000
Check whether or not your crankcase breather is clogged with dirt. If it is you will get some pressure in the trans causing seals to leak. It's usually the countershaft or kickstarter that leak. Also check whether the seal is in flat and flush to the cases. It's also possible that there is a groove worn into the countershaft although your bike is pretty new for that.

wanrep

Sponsoring Member
Aug 21, 2001
If you slid the seal over the bare countershaft, the inner lip of the seal is probably damaged.
If you cleaned the shaft and put tape around it, along with some grease, it's probably a plugged breather hose.

G. Gearloose

Pigment of ur imagination
Jul 24, 2000
Behind the collar there should be 2 o-rings. These have to be under compression so oil won't weep between the collar and the countershaft.

Some aftermarket sprockets are too thin. You should have to push on the c-clip a bit to get it on. It the sprocket is wobbly thats a sign of this. It has been observed that without compressing the collar between the sprocket and o-rings, the collar can actually stay stationary in the seal and the countershaft rotating in it. They should all rotate as one, of course. The buykawasaki.com diagrams indicate 2 orings on your model.

Also, one end of the collar may be chamfered, this should be the 'inward' end.

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
Thanks for the info.. It's the OEM sprocket, and it does have a little bit of play. I'll check the sleeve and get back to you, thanks.

Cam

Top Bottom