Nov 27, 2010
The petcock on my KDX 250 SR is leaking in shut position and may be fouling the plugs (3 so far in 3 rides) , it oozes outside as well as one of the screws cannot be tightened (the little screws not the two large ones that bolt the petcock to the tank).

I see this petcock has internal parts you can buy separately,
an o-ring among others.

http://www.cmsnl.com/kawasaki-1991-e1-kdx250_model11820/partslist/F2410.html

Is this model petcock prone to problems, and is there a known fix or should I just try to find the original petcock at a dealership? I also worry about problems installing the new petcock with potential leaks from the steel tank then , if something goes wrong when removing the old parts.

reepicheep

Apr 3, 2009
Start with the screws. If they are stuck and you can get them out, then I would just rebuild the one you have with new rubber bits.

If they are stripped, it is probably hard to get a tap that small, and it's not like you can heli-coil them. So you might have to replace, unless you can get lucky with a one size up self tapping screw.

EYY

May 22, 2010
Check if it's leaking from the elbow behind the petcock, common kdx problem. The petcock on my '93 200 likes to be in exactly the right spot before it will shut the fuel completely off. If the problem happens to be that elbow, it's a pretty easy fix for the mechanically inclined.

Top Bottom