kaw Bill

Oct 1, 1999
I have a constant slow drip coming from the petcock on my 96 KDX 200. What would cause this and how is it fixed?

kaw Bill

------------------

dirtbikedad

Mar 24, 2001
See a Urologist for a dose of penicillin, then stay out of Bancock

------------------
Old guy who putts around on a '00 WR400F behind the KX_kid

kaw Bill

Oct 1, 1999
Just to clarify, it's coming out of the hose like it should but it's in the off possition.

kaw Bill

------------------

MN KDXer

Registered
Jun 7, 1999
Kaw Bill,

My 220's shut off was a bit touchey about where was the actual shut off point. I found that the lever needed to be level with the ground, rather than perpendicular to the inlet and outlet.

The shut off was probably leaky since day one, but only now, has your carb's needle and seat worn to where it leaks every-so-little while the bike sits idle.

& btw, regarding the "other" reply... Hmmmm... I sure can see why so many comedians can't make a living. ;)

Good luck with it.

------------------
-01 RM250 (mine) & 01 RM125 (kid's)
-Senior A Enduro and Hare Scramble Rider.
"Yep, that 14 yr old A Class rider is MY kid; He learned to ride from ME!!"

kaw Bill

Oct 1, 1999
MN KDXer, I just replaced the needle and seat about a month ago because it was leaking as well. When I pull the hose off the carb and just let it sit it will eventually fill a very small container. I want to make sure it doesn't do this so that when I run the carb out of gas it stays that way. I just finished taking apart the pet cock and the o ring and packing looked ok. I flipped the packing around to see if that would help. Like You said maby I'll just have to play with different positions on the knob or replace the packing. THanks for the advice.

kaw Bill

------------------

canucklehead

Apr 13, 2000
It might not be the petcock itself, but the swivel hose inlet on the back. I had a similar problem with mine, and it was caused by the swivel hose thingy not sealing properly. Its a friction fit, so i put some teflon tape on it and jammed it back in. The leak stopped.
But you said it comes out of the hose eh? Maybe its not the swivel thingy after all... :)

Dave

------------------
Canucklehead
89 KDX200
"It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man" - Jack Handey

JohninKY

Nov 18, 2000
Originally posted by canucklehead:
Its a friction fit, so i put some teflon tape on it and jammed it back in. The leak stopped.
How long has the teflon tape held out? I have the swivel leak. I've tried RTV, liquid metal, and JB weld, but no luck. I'm about to give in and buy a new petcock, but maybe I'll give the teflon tape a shot.
The shut off is real sensitive on mine as well. If it's just a little off it leaks.

------------------

[This message has been edited by JohninKY (edited 04-15-2001).]

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
Ah welcome to cheap bastard's corner again.

Yeah my 91 tap was leaking too. Disassemble the petcock. Dress the back of the swivel thingy with some V.fine sandpaper. Don’t remove much as it will reduce preload on the rubber. Oh yeah clean the rubber up with petrol & a brush. Now that wavy washer can be bent up a bit more to preload the assembly a bit more. Also check the screws are clamping down properly. They are an M3 thread I think if you need to replace any.

Always use a condom.

dt

------------------

Top Bottom