leaking shocks...brand new seals!!

Deity

Nov 8, 2000
Well...apparently me and a buddy messed up. After rebuilding my showa forks on my 97 Cr-250 they are still leaking. The only step we took where there was any question was the actual way the fork seals went in the forks.....bevel poiting up or bevel pointing down. The link everyone showed on here said put the side of the fork seal that has writing on it towards the dust seal....well mine didnt have any writing on them. we put them on with the bevel pointing "up" (when mounted on the bike) and now they leak. So I assume they are in backwards?...anyone have any input on this?.....also the owners manual shows 6 oz of oil going into the top portion of the shock and the total capacity is in between 11 and 14 oz. does this include what goes in the top portion of the shock?...or is this completely seperate?....someone PLEASE give me some input....

Thanks

Aaron

Deity

Nov 8, 2000
ok fixed..

OK We dropped brand new seals in (the right way). IF this does not stop my leaking what else could be causing a leak?....ie oil collecting onthe bottom of the dust seal. or is it common for some oil to be left under the dust seal after a rebuild?

WhiPit

Mar 16, 2000
Yeah, putting the seals in upside-down will definitly cause a leak......

Make sure the bushings are in good shape. If they're worn, that can also cause your seals to leak. Check the inner tubes (chrome), too. Is it nice and smooth, or are there rock dings? :D

Deity

Nov 8, 2000
worn bushings

What should I look for on the bushings?...they seem to fit the shaft nice and tight...do they wear somewhere else?

CR307

Apr 12, 2001
I know you may have already checked but just in case maybe a little reminder that any dirt will cause a leak. Small rock or even a chip! Just hoped this might be the case for you. Good luck!

WhiPit

Mar 16, 2000
Diety,

Just look at the "teflon" coating on the bushings. Is it in good condition? Can you see any of the bearing metal through it? If the coating is scratched or worn looking, you should replace them.

A bushing that allows too much lateral movement of the chrome tube causes the seal to "un-seat" - or lose its seal with the tube, therefore allowing oil to get past.

Top Bottom