CR_RIDER

Aug 4, 2007
:(Would it be bad on the front forks to ride with a leaky front fork seal?It is only one that is leaking.(the side were the caliper/disc is on).It feels weird riding it the way it is,it feels super soft and,like I have a flat when im riding?I got a quote to replace the fork seals and they said $180 plus parts.... :yikes: .Im not good with jacking with suspension. :pissed:.What should I do?I wanna ride tomorrow.Would I be tearing up more stuff?

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
First, you should give people more than 15 minutes to answer your questions.
Then you should consider changing the seals yourself. Search for the tutorial, it's not that hard to do. One ride on them won't do a lot of damage, in fact, as long as you keep the fluid topped off you can ride it for quite some time with no damage, but please remember one moderately important detail. You said that it is the left leg (with the caliper) which means that you have an unrestrained lubricant in very close proximity to your front brake rotor. Brakes rely on friction, and lubricants are meant to reduce friction I could be wrong, but this could have an adverse effect on your ability to stop.

CR_RIDER

Aug 4, 2007
well yeah I dont have a owners manual yet(bought one on ebay/waiting for shipping)And It looks a little overwhelming.Were do I go to see a tutorial?how hard are they to change? :coocoo:

stumanarama

Aug 29, 2007
do a search for it in these forums, there was a thread explaing how to do the whole process less than a month ago, for all four seals(dust, and main)x2 forklegs, it will be about 40 dollars, you only need one specialty tool and that is a seal driver, although it is not cheap, if you plan to ride for years to come it will be well worth it. also, an extra set of hands while doing the procedure would be desired. its a half hour to 45 minute operation and is more than do-able for the average joe

BigRedAF

Jan 9, 2005
If it's hard dirt that got in the seal and caused it to fail then riding is not a good idea. The dirt will scuff the fork leg and it will need to be polished or it will leak again with a new seal.

Just something to consider...

The work is easy as stated above. If your not sure about the cause don't ride.

CR_RIDER

Aug 4, 2007
yeah but I dont have a manual yet....And I allways f$%& little stuff up like this.And I dont have any money to get a seal driver.I would need a picture to picture step by step instruction manual.....Would the owners manual have this?

CR_RIDER

Aug 4, 2007
I built some confidence!

Well guys after a LOT of searching around for tutorials.I've decided to do it my self...It doesn't look that hard,I just have to be patient and read the manual carefully.I went to youtube and found a really helpful fork seal tutorial video.This is just part one there is 3 videos but this gives you an idea.Thanks for the info and Im going to wait until I get my manual so I can get the fork oil info and all that other stuff.Im hoping to get some fork springs set up for my weight also,It would be essential seeing that I would already have the fork's apart.I just have to get the proper tools.Let me no if there is any homemade tools that would fill in for the seal driver! :cool: <object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/W2G-b66F3es&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/W2G-b66F3es&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

CR_RIDER

Aug 4, 2007
That would take longer to make the pvc driver than it would to do the fork rebuild...lol.But it is a good idea.There is one method when a guy cut half of the old fork seal off and used it as a seal driver???would this work pretty good?Please tell me what to look out for when im doing this (seal replacement)....

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
CR_RIDER said:
That would take longer to make the pvc driver than it would to do the fork rebuild...lol.But it is a good idea.There is one method when a guy cut half of the old fork seal off and used it as a seal driver???would this work pretty good?Please tell me what to look out for when im doing this (seal replacement)....

I think it actually took all of 10 minutes to make my seal driver from that link.. It's really not hard, and it's extremely cheap.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
IndyMX said:
I think it actually took all of 10 minutes to make my seal driver from that link.. It's really not hard, and it's extremely cheap.

I second that. :cool: The pvc seal drivers work very well. :nod:

Another thing you can try is to take a strip of 35mm film or a thin feeler gauge with rounded edges and place it between the seal and fork leg. Run the strip around the inside of the seal being careful not to nick the seal. If there is dirt lodged in the seal it will remove the dirt and the seal may work again.

The softness in your forks is most likely a lack of oil or not the proper weight oil or both. When you get your manual it will show you the proper way to drain and refill your forks and will give you the correct weight.

CR_RIDER

Aug 4, 2007
Ol'89r said:
I second that. :cool: The pvc seal drivers work very well. :nod:

Another thing you can try is to take a strip of 35mm film or a thin feeler gauge with rounded edges and place it between the seal and fork leg. Run the strip around the inside of the seal being careful not to nick the seal. If there is dirt lodged in the seal it will remove the dirt and the seal may work again.

do you have any pics of this being done?

BigRedAF

Jan 9, 2005
If taking the forks apart doesn't scare you and you don't want to replace the seals you can tear them down, clean the seals, wipe a thin layer of vaseline on the seals and put it back together. There's a slim chance that this will solve your problems. However, if I had the time to do all of that it would only take three more minutes to replace the seals while you have the forks apart.

CR_RIDER

Aug 4, 2007
Yeah im replacing the seals.Im not going too take the easy way out.And if the vaseline didnt work then I would have to tear them apart again...

mxchamps

Nov 4, 2001
I tried making a PVC seal saver and it didn't work so hot. I think you need a little mass behind it. I bought a seal saver for $40 and it is worth its weight in gold. Much better than taking the time to go buy 10 feet of PVC and trying to rig it (just my opinion). If you rarely change seals then I guess the PVC works OK. By the way I found a good tutorial that shows how to change the seals on KYB cartridge type forks (most Yamahas and Kawasakis).

Change motorcycle fork seals part 1 (of 2) cartridge type
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y43k1qFVGW4

Change motorcycle fork seals part 1 (of 2) cartridge type
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y43k1qFVGW4

thefeez

Jun 16, 2008
This is the exact reason I found this forum...leaking seals on my ktm..guess I'll be ordering seal kits, heading to home depot for pvc, and taking the laptop to my garage to watch these videos as I tag along...

Top Bottom