Lean or rich?

23jayhawk

Sponsoring Member
Apr 30, 2002
An annoying bog/cough has reared up recently - happens in the first 1/8 to 1/4 throttle, but only at low engine speed. If its winding down with the throttle closed & I snap it open - no hesitation, just zoom zoom. It seems to have gotten just a bit worse since I removed the snorkle.

The air screw seems to have no affect on this problem - have tried from 2 1/2 down to 3/4 with no real fix, although the richer setting seems marginally better. Just got done taking the float bowl off & inspecting. All seems clean, float level just at the parting line where it has always been.

This problem is usually associated with a lean/flat spot, right? Yet the weather has been getting 'richer' in recent weeks, if anything. And I did not have this lag a few weeks ago.

Is this more of a pilot/air screw problem, or needle position? Need an idea on where to start chasing this down.

The patient:

box stock 2002 200, BR8ES (original plug), 32:1 w/ 93 oct, 155/45/1174K @ #2.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Well you have a 48 pilot already and although I doube it, you can oput that back in and see if it gets better. (Readjust your airscrew) if not then try a 42 pilot. A bog is a real hesitation in the engine to respond = lean, a grumble, spit, sputter type response is probably a rich situation. Based on your jetting now and where you live my guess is that you can go down to a 42 pilot for the dog days of summer but I may be wrong -Each bike is a little different. ALWAYS make one change at a time so you can verify the results.

Mac

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 17, 2000
My bike was a bone stock 200 once and I ran 155 main, 42 pilot @ 3/4, 1174-4. I could not get rid of the off idle bog with my needle in #2(leaner). #3(stock) was better but #4(richer) worked best with the 42 pilot. This was even more noticeable when I installed a REV pipe.

Also try a BPR7ES plug, it really helped keep my bike from loading up.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
You say when it DOESN'T bog ('winding down'), but not specifically when it DOES. Is it from off-idle to 1/8 to 1/4? From a walking speed? Any load (on an uphill grade or level ground)?

You might try a tank of 40:1 to see if a bit richer all 'round matters (as opposed to changing a particular circuit). My intent in this case doesn't have anything to do with A/F ratio.

Maybe a seemingly unrelated issue? You mention having just removed the snorkle. Maybe cleaned the filter at the same time? Maybe oiled it too heavily? (Yes, I understand that would lead to a rich condition. Maybe an O-2 problem, too)

Was the snorkle removed so as to be reuseable? Put it back on?

Try a new plug.

Last edited:

23jayhawk

Sponsoring Member
Apr 30, 2002
Sounds like going one leaner on the pilot may be a logical next step. Part of the trouble is that I'm not yet able to easily discern between a slightly rich and lean condition. When I still had stock jetting, the problem was evident, based on the fog following me down the trail. :)

Guess I will drop in a 42 & hope it either makes it much worse, or leans it enough that I can bring it in range with the A/S. Thanks, FT & Mac.

23jayhawk

Sponsoring Member
Apr 30, 2002
CC, it is worse right off the bottom, or slightly above idle. And it is aggrevated by heavier load.

The plug is probably what I should do first to eliminate that as a possibility. It is still the original - somehow I've never fouled one. But maybe it is beginning to foul slowly, and only noticeable at low speed. I'll swap it tonight.

In fact, I did just service air cleaner, and switched from PJ to BelRay, but I don't think I got it too heavy. I usually squeeze until there is no more oil to be wrung out. But I will check it tonight.

thx

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
what's your plug look like? try the new plug first. my 220 alway's seemed to have a bit of a stumbling trait. in 1st till I get a load on it, then it goes away. your pilot is close. maybe a 42 or drop the needle one clip? but your close!

Last edited:

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
uh-oh. Squeeze?

It's funny (to me) that I'm usually a stickler for doing things the way they are supposed to be done..but that 'supposed to be' is often an article of my own invention.

I would never, have never followed the directions for oiling a filter. If I had enough oil on a filter that I could squeeze it out, I'd figure I'd overdone it, clean it and start over.

I've used notoil from the beginning cuz it's so easy to clean. I spray it(since it's been an aerosol) evenly in and out, knead it in well. It's not even CLOSE to dripping.

I'm not saying you should do it differently than you do. The point is, that given your stated jet-set, I'd say you're close to being right the way I oil a filter. BUT, given the filter oiling method you use, I'd say you're still way too rich!

Oh...but change the plug anyway. Run an EG over an ES. You'll get better spark on the bottom, thus better burn overall. The EG is a fine-wire plug.

Ha! yeah...gravity usually does win. Doesn't THAT suck??

23jayhawk

Sponsoring Member
Apr 30, 2002
Yup, the plug. Fresh BR8ES, and its back to its old self. A/S at 1 3/4 & it absolutely snaps to attention with any throttle - like before.

Didn't expect a plug to go 'sorta' bad - another week, another lesson. :)

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
Congras! I'd still work a bit more on your jetting.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…