Leaning into corners on a bigger bike?

Sourstraw

Apr 17, 2003
Aloha everybody -

Just a technique question, maybe somebody can offer me some advice!

Currently I ride an RT180 - I am pretty small, my tiptoes just touch the ground on this bike. However, I am definitely ready to move up to a bigger bike, I have outgrown the Yamaha. I've been practicing on an RM125 - I haven't ridden it in any tight trails or anything like that - more open spaces, etc.... my problem is that I feel like my center of balance is completely off, and I always feel like I am going to fall off the bike if I go into a turn. I know that I should stay on the throttle a bit through a turn to keep momentum, but I feel like I'm just going to tip right off the bike. I can't put my feet down on the RM125 - only lean to one side to hold the bike up. I feel like I need to put my leg out in a turn to keep balance (although I don't need to put my foot on the ground), but I still feel like I am going to fall. Is this just a matter of getting used to it and practicing? I'm eventually going to have the seat shaved down and maybe lower the bike a teeny bit so that it feels a bit more comfortable, but in the meantime, I want to practice. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! :)

stacy

Motogrl307

~SPONSOR~
Jan 10, 2001
Put the crack of your butt on the outer edge of the seat, and sit as far forward on the seat as possible and keep your outer knee tight to the tank and push down on outer peg, and keep you elbow up that will help balance.

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
It is something you will get used to. It just takes time, practice and making yourself trust the bike. It's really hard to do--it took me forever and I still suck ass at slow, tight maneuvering. Also stand up and pretend you're trials riding--that's the only way I can go slow without tipping. However, I know what you mean about the way you feel. Just keep after it, and both your ego and your riding skills will improve with riding a bigger bike!

CJ Rider

~SPONSOR~
Apr 3, 2000
Ah, I can TOTALLY RELATE (due to the lack of hight thing)!

I'd follow Motogrl307's direction for faster corners. Elbows WAY up, sit on your tank, stomp down hard on that outside peg, lean the top part of your body to the inside a bit, push the inside handlebars (or pull the outside), and ya may need to grip with your knees like Motogrl307 says. (This I practice at the mx track.)

For slow corners, it's different. Stand up, stomp down hard on that outside peg, and lean the top part of your body to the outside over that outside peg. Keep the bike really loose between your knees (no gripping) so you can push the bike easily from side to side. (This I practice by doing circles and figure eights in the parking lot.)

Sourstraw

Apr 17, 2003
Thank you for all your advice!!! I am going to take the RM out into my field to practice these techniques - I definitely want to get good at it, because I feel completely comfortable with the power of the 125 (MUCH more powerful than my RT180), but the turning thing is slowing me down. That and the fact that it is a pain in the butt to actually swing my leg up over the bike to get on in the first place! Although I did stall out in the field last weekend, and I was able to kickstart the bike myself - a major feat when you actually see how small I am compared to the bike... heh heh... but it definitely is SO much fun riding it. :)

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
Mastering corning skills takes a really long time to get the skills down. I've been racing MX for almost 3 yrs now and still have a hard time. I try to practice cornering speed as much as I can. What everybody is saying though is right. Good Luck!

E-Ticket

~SPONSOR~
Dec 16, 2000
Yah... it's just like sex.

a) You have to believe you're good at it.
b) Practice, practice, practice.....

:thumb:

Pantaz

Dec 13, 2001

Megan McCune

Aug 11, 2003
Sorry to change the subject but for school I have to invent something and I was wondering if any of you would use a ziplock bag drier? Got 2 go mom's calling me. c u l8ter

dirty~d~

Resident nudist
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 17, 2002
Don't get too discouraged with cornering. My street bike tendancies still get the better of me, at which point I usually end up eating dirt, grass, rocks, etc. Practicing in a flat area using construction cones is a great way to get used to corners. You can focus on your technique before worrying about your surroundings coming after you. :thumb: Good luck!!

Top Bottom