HajiWasAPunk

Aug 5, 2005
I'm looking for basic advice on hitting jumps, particularily doubles. So far I've just been riding a private track where the biggest jump is about 3 feet high and pretty quick after a sharp turn (meaning its hard to get up a lot of speed before it). In fact, I'm usually still in first when I hit it. Sevaral ppl have told me I should be in at least 2nd gear for all but the take off but this track seems to small and tight to not have to downshift. Am I wrong and just need to stay in 2nd and feather the clutch more? When you hit the jump are you just holding the gas wide open or do you give a little extra right at take off (to ensure landing flat, or back wheel first on a flat landing)? How do you know if you're ready for doubles?

Thanks.

tyesai

Nov 4, 2004
I am knew to this stuff to so I feel your pain, do a search on jumping and you should come up with all kinds of good info. The biggest problem is is that there is no REAL answer, all tracks/jumps are different. What I do is ask my friends what gear they are in and try to hit the section at about the recommended speed. Usually what happens after that is I either nose it in or case it. Then I get bigger cojones and just hit it harder and find out it is way easier to go fast than slow. Practice one spot/jump if possible, preferably a nice table top because you don't really need to clear them to have a soft safe landing. Have fun and just work up to it.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
I would wait till you are completely comfortable with a 40' tabletop before you try a 20' double. Something about the danger of coming up short causes many people to back off and do just that.

As far as what gear...it is unusual to use 1st gear on a MX track, but it's better to concentrate on your riding and do it in 1st than to wear your bike out because you're really not going fast enough to use 2nd or 3rd properly.

kxbuffalo

Apr 29, 2005
Speaking of tabletops, the other day I hit one too hard I guess, comlpletely cleared it, landed hard and now I have one of those fancy boots with all the velcro on it. Weak suspension? I don't know. As for those doubles all the ones I hit are bad kickers, is this normal for a double or is this my bad technique? Seems I always have to haul back hard on the bike to keep the front end up on a double. Thanks.

njkx

Apr 13, 2004
on small doubles I usually just ride off them slow at first and land in the middle. You will land hard so be prepared (have good body position and make sure you grip with your legs and make sure your feet are firmly on the pegs). Usually I am suprised that I make it more than half way without even trying. This gives me a clue as to how fast I need to go clear it. JUST TO BE CLEAR THIS ONLY WORKS ON SMALLER DOUBLES WITH FLATTISH LANDINGS!! YOU OBVIOUSLY DON'T WANT TO TRY THIS AND LAND ON THE FACE OF A PEAKED LANDING.

bpositive

Jul 11, 2005
second in the corner and third comming out , stay steady on the gas not wide open and don't back off ... if you going for it then go for it ... it's all or none on the doubles...

HajiWasAPunk

Aug 5, 2005
bpostitive, assuming a normal jump (ie no big kicker, or ruts) you just stay steady on the throttle? You don't have to do anything to ensure a "flat" landing?

Thanks

Top Bottom