Learning to ride dirt in San Diego

SoCal

Oct 4, 2003
I'm 42. I rode dirt bikes when I was a kid. Been riding street bikes for the last 7 years. Just totaled my street bike and I'm thinking about switching to dirt for a while on a CRF250X. I realize there are quite a few motocross tracks in the area, but not sure if that's a good place to reacquaint myself with dirt riding. I know there's Ocotillo Wells, but not sure if that's where I should be either. Where are the best places to learn dirt riding around here? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

KX2fitty

Mar 30, 2004
Ocotillo is a great place to start since it is wide open with very little to hit. Gordon's Well too. Go east to the desert and you have alot of good riding areas down there. I get down there myself from LA but right now it is a little hot for those places. Good luck and be safe. WEAR GEAR!

Kx Steve H

May 1, 2002

SoCal

Oct 4, 2003
Thanks for the info.

Other than a helmet, boots, gloves, jersey and pants, what gear would I need? Do I need a chest protector or kidney belt? When I watch motocross on TV the riders don't appear to be wearing chest protectors. What is the deal with that? I would think they would want to wear them.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Chest protcetors are a very good idea. They also offer some back protection. Most riders do not wear kidney belts anymore. But neck protectors are getting more popular. Some guys also wear elbow or forearm protection.

Also, I would recommend some form of 'bark buster' aluminum hand guards for the bike, even if you are not riding in the woods. They will usually keep you from breaking your levers if you tip over. If you are riding in the trees they do a great job protecting your hands and keeping branches from activating your brake for you.

Below is a link that lists many of the places to ride in California.

http://www.employees.org/~calridng/allsites.html

SoCal

Oct 4, 2003
Thanks for the input everyone.

Today I bought an '04 CRF250R. The guy had it like 4 months. Not a lot of use. Came with Fox boots, No Fear helmet, goggles, pants, chest protector and gloves. Also oil and stand for $4,800. How's that sound?

Can't wait to get out there and start the learning curve. :)

Tree

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 26, 2000
The deserts are a little hot this time of year and the track is not the best to start on. Mccains Valley could be a good place to start out. there is a flat area to get familiar with your bike and some trails that are fun. The entire area is not very big so once you get the feel for it you can cover the place in less than 2 hrs but as a beginner it would be a fun place to start. I have a ride set up through corral canyon starting at the pine valley exit on the 21st but that loop is not for a true beginner as its 50 mi long and covers some tight rocky trails. But there is a pretty easy fire road that it starts on and you could just run that road to get the hang of your bike. Since you have rode street bikes you may have the ability to make the whole thing that would be up to you. For info on this or other rides, like Steve said, check the socal wrecking crew forums on this board.

Top Bottom