Leg training with limited equipment

bbbom

~SPONSOR~
Aug 13, 1999
I love training legs but the office gym isn't quite up to the standards of a normal gym.

We have dumbells up to 45 lbs and one of those cable pulley weight stations with the pec station on one side and a leg extension/standing hamstring curl station on the other side.

Problem is when I use the leg extension and standing hamstring curls, my knees get sore the next day. I used to do these two exercises at the real gym (not enough time to go to an outside gym) and never had a problem. Could it be the angle of the machine or is it my advanced age? Is the standing ham curl bad for knees? I don't have any knee problems but one gets weaker after doing the ext/curl combo.

What are some other exercises (with dumbells or the cable station) for working quads & hams?

I do squats with the 45 lb dumbells with no problem (need to get some bars & plates though).

Deadlifts are good, lunges are good, sissy squats but none seem to hit the quads and hams quite as well as the extensions & curls but they make my knees hurt! Is there something else to do?

Help me, help me I'm shrinking!!!!!!

Anssi

May 20, 2001
When you get the bar, try stiff-legged deadlifts for hams and front squats (?. what I mean is keep the bar in front of your neck, it's weird at first but works well if you don't have a leg press) for quads.

Leg extensions are IMHO the worst thing for the knees. Hamstring curls don't seem to do as much damage.

michigan

Mar 9, 2001
Maybe you're hyperextending your knees a bit when you do the leg curls? Also, leg extensions do put a lot of stess on your knees.
Another problem might be too a high training frequency for your legs.
Just some things to consider.
PS- If you go deep enough, the squat WILL stimulate your hams and glutes to a higher degree.

Last edited:
Top Bottom