Legalities with Tailgate down - metro NYC

wannayz

Aug 27, 2002
Hi, if I buy a Sportrac, it'll hold my YZ straight in but radius of rear wheel will stick out PAST the lowered tailgate. So, I can't even use a bed extender because it must sit on the footprint of the tailgate. I think the police would love to target this but am unsure of laws. Over the past months I've asked police, called police stations and even asked a lawyer - got very conflicting answers meaning yes I can be ticketed EVEN IF it's legal because no one seems to know, and I'm not sure anyway if it is. Any ideas short of choosing different truck?
Thanks all.

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
for the same dollars why not get a bigger truck, Dodge Ram Quad Cab, or Dakota Quad Cab. My brother fits his KDX and the two kiddies bikes into the back of his Nissan extended cab, tailgate up.

wannayz

Aug 27, 2002
Ram too big and thirsty. Dakota has been often considered and still a possibility but too in-between (not comfortable enough for family like the Sportrac but not big enough bed either so if going more rugged for the sake of bed length, I'd decided on the Frontier long bed). If not the Sportrac, the Frontier is next in line. But the Dakota's a nice truck. Thanks.

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
My brother has the frontier extended cab, long bed, only room in the back for dogs and kiddies. He has the big V6 and really likes his truck - fits the bikes in easily - not a bad choice.

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
What would they do to somebody hauling lumber in the back of a truck with the gate down?? I don't see how they could say anything.....but then again...it is New York.

sperduton

~SPONSOR~
Aug 3, 2000
I don't think there's any law about leaving the gate down, Heck, I know tons of guys that ride without any gate at all. The key things are not to block the tail lights from being visible. I wouldn't worry about it at all.

gixer

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 2001
Should not be a problem but just to be safe put a red flag or some thing red on the rear tire and call it a day. I see guys all the time with the tail gate down.

Casper250

Motosapien
Dec 12, 2000
Originally posted by wannayz
I've asked police, called police stations and even asked a lawyer - got very conflicting answers meaning yes I can be ticketed EVEN IF it's legal because no one seems to know, and I'm not sure anyway if it is.

If all these people don't know, then it's a slim chance that a cop will know and pull you over for it.

wannayz

Aug 27, 2002
Thanks for all the input. I have to put this delicately, because I have high regard for the NY Police but the fact remains that some tickets are given out that perhaps are not exactly "just" and then have to be fought in court or by detailed letters. When I mention that I've spoken with some 'representatives' of law enforcement, I'm not kidding that some have said "yes" they would ticket me - even a squad car team where one partner said he wouldn't bother me and his partner almost interrupting the first said "I would".
Not a way I want to spend my day out, having to look behind my shoulder every second on the road.
My guess is that it IS legal - given all the input here. And of course, this may only apply to parkway driving. So, I'll again check out the Sportrac which has the nice SECURE, easily removable hard cover. The Frontier is still my preference but then have the problem of not having an easily removable hard cover. Soft cover is ok but this IS New York city. And I live here so I won't be delicate in saying that security is a big issue.
Thanks again.

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Get a real truck ! ;) :p

Top Bottom