Legendary Ramones guitarist Johnny Ramone succumbs to cancer at fifty-five

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
From www.rollingstone.com

Johnny Ramone died in his sleep yesterday afternoon (September 15th) after a five-year fight with prostate cancer; the Ramones guitarist and leader was fifty-five.

Ramone (born John Cummings) kept his sickness private for four years, and news of it only became public in June when he lapsed into a coma for a week and was hospitalized. At the time, bandmate Marky Ramone, who joined the group in 1977 after drummer Tommy Ramone quit, expressed shock at Johnny's disease. "John never smoked cigarettes, and he wasn't a heavy drinker," Marky told Rolling Stone. "He was always into his health. That's why I can't understand it."

The Ramones have lost three members in the last five years, with Johnny's passing following singer Joey Ramone's death in 2001 from lymphatic cancer and bassist Dee Dee Ramone's death from a drug overdose the following year.

Founded in Queens, New York, in 1974, the Ramones are widely cited as the original punk rock band. With a uniform no more complicated than ripped jeans and black leather jackets, the band made simple into an art form, writing about everything from boredom to sniffing glue in aggressive two-minute bursts as clever as they were economical.

Underappreciated in their time, the Ramones were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2002 and have enjoyed something of a retroactive renaissance as musicians from U2's Bono to shock rocker Rob Zombie stepped forward to herald the band's influence. And the band's impact has transcended rock & roll, as sports arenas -- including Yankee Stadium, where Johnny's beloved Yankees play -- routinely blare the rallying cry "Hey ho, let's go" from their debut album's opener "Blitzkrieg Bop."

This past Sunday, a cast of all-star rockers, including the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Eddie Vedder, Tim Armstrong of Rancid and Henry Rollins, marked the thirtieth anniversary of the Ramones' first show with a cancer research benefit in Los Angeles. (Another benefit, featuring Blondie and the Strokes, is set to take place in New York on Johnny's birthday, October 8th.) Johnny had planned to attend the Los Angeles show, but had taken a recent turn for the worse. Host Rob Zombie called him from stage. "It was heartbreaking to call him," Zombie said after the show. "I knew he really wanted to be here."

The Ramones' tumultuous career is documented in the new film End of the Century: The Ramones Story. "It's a very dark movie," Johnny told Rolling Stone in 2002. "It's accurate, but it left me disturbed as I was watching it. I'm basically portrayed as a tyrannical monster, Dee Dee is on drugs, Mark is an alcoholic and Joey is an alcoholic and drug addict at various times."

After the band's final split in 1996, Johnny put down his guitar for good. "I just didn't want to go up there and perform at a level below what the kids had grown to expect," he said. "Having fond memories to me was more important. If you're a baseball player twenty-two years into your career, you're not performing at the same level you were ten years into your career. I'm not going to fool myself and think I'm as good. Even if we were still good, I wanted to get out with some dignity."

Johnny Ramone is survived by his wife Linda Cummings and his mother Estelle Cummings.

COLIN DEVENISH
(Posted Sep 16, 2004)

dante

Mar 24, 2004
In 1988 I had the chance to see the Ramones live when they were touring for Ramones Mania sort of a greatest hits album at the Arragon Ballroom in Chicago Illinois... It was quite an awesome show... They played most of the songs on that album... I feel lucky to have seen them play... They sounded so great and had such a wonderful presence on stage... With Joey hitting chords with big windmills like Pete Townsend, and Johnny with his trademark super wide stance and a mic stand a foot and a half too short belting out the lyrics... They really were great song writers too even if the songs themselves were realetivly simple the lyrics were poetic and allot of people to identify with them...

godbless the Ramones

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
dante said:
In 1988 I had the chance to see the Ramones live when they were touring for Ramones Mania sort of a greatest hits album at the Arragon Ballroom in Chicago Illinois...

You couldn't find a more perfect venue for the Ramones than the Brawlroom :aj: That must have been incredible.

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
Crap. There goes another punk icon. :ugg: Godspeed, Johnny Ramone.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
So what's that leave one of them?

RoostRider

Uhhh...
Aug 24, 2004
My mom will probably be glad. She never could understand the humor behind a song like Teenage Lobotomy, or Gimme Gimme Shock Treatment. It's Alive may be to blame for my addiction to adrenaline.

Punk is stupid and it always was!
Punk is stupid and it always will be!

Bye Bye Baby

dante

Mar 24, 2004
Rich Rohrich said:
You couldn't find a more perfect venue for the Ramones than the Brawlroom :aj: That must have been incredible.

The Ballroom is the best for seeing shows for sure... I love that place... We went and sat in line in the alley all day in order to get up front and we did as that place is General Admission... They open up those doors and it's a sprint down the corridor, up the stairs and down the ballroom, just running the whole way all 2000 people... we made it to within the first 10 rows or so... The Dickies opened up... It was a great great show... They really sounded great too, bands always sound great at the Ballroom... I've seen a bunch of shows there... It's cool cause if you show up early you can get to the front rows...

Punk rock is my friend!!!

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
i drove around the block with "my brain is hanging upside down" blasting as a tribute. :ugg:

my thirteen year-old daughter kendall, loves the ramones.

squeaky

Roosta's Princess
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 28, 2003
This is such sad news, I love the Ramones. :(

Top Bottom