nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
This is an '02 R2 11.5hp S-6 L/C 4 petal case reed motor. Carb is a Dell'Orto PHBG 14MS. My son's riding a Pro Sr, and the LEM was 'loaned' out. :ohmy: Got a call that it was doing something strange. It's dying suddenly after approx. 2 minutes of vigorous riding (started happening at approx. 10 minutes (2 or 3 weeks ago) I'm told--which may or may not be important. At any rate, it was brought over--after ridden hard for a few minutes it just suddenly dies. In light of knowing little about these crazy Italian mo-chines, started with filter, plug, etc. basics. No go. Same thing. Remember that this thing is hauling when it happens. No spitting, smoke, pinging or evidence of any kind of rich or lean condition. Just bam--dies.

When trying to restart--nothing, until about 5 or 10 minutes. 2 minutes to off, 5 or 10 to on. Temperature issue? Time itself? Thinking float height or fuel line restriction issue. There seems to be no fuel filter. Furthermore, there is fuel present in the line when the death occurs. Even more, the float piece is entirely plastic and cannot possibly be adjusted. How about ignition? That becomes the hot topic. Go straight ahead and do a quick resistance check on the coil, and clean the piss out of the stator and rotor with carb cleaner. No go.

Take it back out, ride it for a few minutes, and it dies. Pull the plug wire and with screwdriver to expansion chamber, plenty, plenty, plenty of fire. Reattaching to the plug--no go. Nothing.

However, with sick curiosity and knowing it will not work because it's hotter than hell out and this thing should require leaner jetting than it ran all winter, I pull the choke lever in and kick it over. It starts, and runs, but poorly. :think:

Jetting? Needs richer jetting? It was running perfectly until recently; including through the summer.....it's running a 75 main, I think a 40'ish pilot and stock needle position. Looking at the standard setup--looks like people are running 80 mains in cold weather, 70 in hot. Therefore, I highly doubt jetting. I also cleaned all orifices from the float only side with carb cleaner and compressed air.

The only thing I haven't said, and may be the problem, is it's louder than hell. The silencer needs repacked, no doubt. Repacking material is coming. That's next. Could this alone be the problem? I have not looked at the choke or slide apparatus yet (have left carb in).

Jasle--I expect you know the answer. Get on it, man! :laugh:

BTW--I tried old jets from the KTM, but hey--why would the Italians want to make carbs with identical jet thread orifice size and pattern (KTM=PHVA 19BS)? That would mean they couldn't be duplicitous, wasting time with extra tooling costs and creating frustration for those that unfortunately bought the silly stuff. Maybe that's why they're still a small boot, and we're.....nevermind.

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
I worken on a Lem R3 last weekend that acted very similar.

I found the washer that goes on top o fthe main jet to be the problem. The sharp side of the washer would grab the float and hild it shut.

Obviously, moving the bike just right or trying to remove the float bowl would let fuel run in again.

This damn near drove me nuts!

Good luck

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
Okay, okay--Jasle's more bark than bite. ;) What's wrong buddy--not a Cobra? j/k

I actually fixed it the day after posting this--just wanted to see what anyone had to say. Jasle knew there WASN'T an answer. The vent line's a great idea, and had I had the idea, I would have tried it flyinzuki.

After taking the bowl off a few times, and reriding it--I finally decided to take a closer look. To be fair, the fuel line PLASTIC was cloudy, making it possible that fuel was not present. There was something kind of funky about the fuel switch, so I took it off, cleaned it--took it as far apart as possible. Although there was mild wear at the engagement points, I couldn't identify anything seriously wrong. When I put it back in, I noticed that to get 'good' fuel flow, I had to overturn the valve to get a good 'click'; and don't remember if that was being done before or not. Thereafter, I made sure that position was maintained.

However, the freakin' needle was sliding up and down in the slide. :yikes: Further inspection showed that the needle retaining 'plastic' was BELOW the needle clip, the needle clip position was #5 :ohmy: and for God's sakes I have no idea how this stout thing ran at all. Unbelievable. Put 'er all back together properly, and it runs normally now. :|

Question is, should I give it back? :eek:

Top Bottom