Kawidude

D'oh!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 23, 2000
I'm going to the Hangtown National next weekend in Sacramento and I'm planning on bringing my 70-200L 2.8 and my new (yay!) 24-105L 4.0. I figure I'll use the 24-105 for all of the shots in the pits and then mount the 70-200 for all of the race action.

I'm wondering if you guys find that 200mm is enough reach (assuming that I've got a normal fan's track access...behind the fence). I'm planning on walking the track quite a bit, so I should be closer at some points than at others.

There's no way I can drop coin on another lens, but I was kicking around the idea of picking up a 1.4x teleconverter if I needed a little more reach. I have a feeling that I'll be close enough at the fence for most of the shots, but I thought I'd check and see if anyone felt the 200mm might be too limiting. I'd much rather not spend the money on a tc, but any feedback is more than welcome.

Squid31

Jul 5, 2006
I have the Sigma 1.4X converter that I bought to use on my 70-200 for action shots, but quite honestly it made the focus speed seem like half the speed. IQ is fine with the 1.4, but the focus speed just makes it a no go for me.

You should be fine with 200mm, but I can't say for sure because I've never been there.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
With the 1.6 crop of your body, you should be good with the 200. I tried a 1.4 as well. Sold it after the first time out.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
As an example while not the greatest shot here is what I got last weekend at the Loretta qualifier from about 60 yards away with my 70-200. You should be much closer at the national, I just saw this battle developing and shot it from across the spectator area because I didn't want to move and loose an angle I had already
v6.jpg

v5.jpg

Kawidude

D'oh!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 23, 2000
Thanks guys! I think I'll give it a shot with the 70-200 and forget about the tc.

I'm toying with the idea of shooting exclusively in Manual this year, but we'll see how that goes.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom