cfr1970

Sponsoring Member
Jun 27, 2002
I have a Vermont tag on my '91. Easiest, most inexpensive way to mount is to mark the tag hole locations with a marker, pull out the handy-dandy black and decker and drill yourself two holes directly in the fender. The bikes are fast, but I don't think you're going to affect any aerodynamics of the bike. Good luck.

91KDX

Jan 23, 2003
I have a UFO License plate mount. It works fine. It flaps around a lot but does no harm. I have a black one and it has the brake light and then holes for the license plate. I drilled holes into my rear fender and bolted it right on there.

Mrobbins

~SPONSOR~
Sep 28, 2002
CFR1970, Not worried about aero, I just didn't want to get caught/cut on the plate in a get-off or rip it off on a tree. Is the VT plate small enough to just bend the sides around the fender and not loose any of the number?

jc

Sep 22, 2001
On my 96 I have a few metal, tapped holes under my stock fender. I used a thick plastic/rubber (like a mud flap) square, bolted it under my fender then bolted my lic. to it. It flexed just enough not to break and to shed mud but was still stiff enough for support.

Mrobbins

~SPONSOR~
Sep 28, 2002
Thanks jc, that is a good idea. I noticed those threaded holes too and thought they must be for a street version of the KDX that came with a fender flap/plate mount. I checked www.buykawasaki.com and didn't find a part for this. I head to an auto parts store or home depot for some heavy rubber/plastic and build one like you suggested.

cfr1970

Sponsoring Member
Jun 27, 2002
MRobbins, your plate barely extends beyond the edges of the fender. As a matter of fact, I had a dump on an ice patch yesterday, got hit by the rear fender, not so much as a scratch from the plate. A few bruises from the ice, not to mention wet gear. The plate is only bent about 1/4" on each side, numbers are perfectly visible.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Pop rivits work great to mount a plate to the rear fender just below the light. Drill 4 small holes in the plate and pop rivit it to the fender. Or you can bolt the top and pop rivit the bottom of the plate. I did it that way on my 2002 KDX.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom