jawx

Jan 10, 2009
Hey guys,

I want to mount my license plate to the rear fender of my KDX200. I dont want to buy any kits or do anything really special though. My two choices are either drilling two holes in the fender and bolting it on. Or I noticed on the under side there are already two threaded bolt holes. I was wondering if anyone knows what these are for and what size bolt fits in them? I could easily just buy two 90 degree angled brackets with two bolts and just mount the plate that way. I would love that. Has anyone done this or knows what these threaded bolt holes were originally for? I can post pics if necessary. Thanks guys!

Josh

d rockwell

~SPONSOR~
Nov 10, 2001
I mounted mine using the four tail light nuts on the underside of the fender. I've seen them mounted above the mud flap that covers up the lower shock. Who says they have to under the tail light? Dave

KDXdog

May 4, 2005
I've used the mounts twice: first time out, I fabbed a holder out of heavy guage sheet metal, log enough to have the plate follow the contour of the end of the fender. First ride in the woods, the sheet metal had bent "down", so I bent it back up. 10 minutes later, I lost the plate for good! lucky for me, the registry took pity on me and gave me a new registration.

2nd generation: I found a stainless steel plate mount (old Baja Designs) for an XR250, for cheap on **bay. Same basic idea I had, but much stronger SS. redrilled the holes, it's been perfect.

You ban easily fab something up, just make sure it won't interfere with the wheel travel, as the tire will fling that sucker far away! I belive I have 4 bolts holding it on, may be overkill, but after losing one plate, i didn't want to repeat. Plus, I know where I can find a spare bolt out on the trail if needed.

As far as the size, nothing special. I think it's the same size metric that hold the radiator shrouds on. Try one from there for fit.

Pushin50

Dec 18, 2006
What has worked for me is I mount the plate to a thick plate size peice of plastic for stength. Attach the plastic plate to a small barn door or strap hinge then mout the other end of the hinge to the very back of the fender. The plate swings free in a crash and it also makes a good mud flap.

Top Bottom