oilspot

Sep 11, 2006
I just got a chance to take a good 2 hour ride today. First time I've really gone riding. I went with a friend that lives right around the corner from me. I wanted ride with somebody else and needed to be shown around to close riding spots.
Come to find out theres loads of desert trails not even a mile from my house that go on for miles.
I'm hooked! That's the most fun I've had in a while. I'm 34 and have two kids to take care of so I did a lot of research on riding technique before I ever got started. I don't want to hurt myself not knowing what I'm doing, and I figure I'd be better off learning correct teqnique. I started off slow to really get a feel for how to work the bike around and to try to make sure I was keeping in position etc.
I felt like a real dork doing all the homework. I'm sure some of my friends thought I was a moron doing all the reading.
Bottom line. Everything I crammed in my head for the last couple of months saved my ass a few times today. I kept myself relaxed and and had a total blast!!! It was when I got scared and tensed up that things would start to get out of control.
I suprized myself at how well I did. My friend even complimented that I did really well for my first ride.
I've got a lot to learn, don't get me wrong.

Anyway, a huge thanks for all the info on here. And a huge thanks to differant people that have put together tecnique and tuning books.

Quick question. I've got a good used pair of garnea (spelling?) boots that I wore today. Man they feel clumsy. I don't have a very good feeling in my shifting foot, To the point were I accidently got neutral instead of second gear quite a few times.
Do boots provide very protection on leg/ ankle injurys? I"m getting mixed info on wether or not boots are very good protection.

p.s. how long does it take for the adrenalin rush to go away :) .

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
That sounds like what it's all about. On the shifting in boots thing, don't try to pivot your foot at the peg, just lift your foot that's what I heard works good and if you were on a CZ that's the only way it would work.

Maybe I should get a bike and start riding again. Except all my neighbors are old as the hills and twice as dusty. I'm to skeert to ride alone like I always used to.

mmz77

Oct 15, 2006
Yes life is good, it is always a fun and enjoying expierence being out in the middle of nowhere riding all day. Explore what mother nature has left us with. :ride:

TwinSpar

AssClown WannaBe
N. Texas SP
Aug 18, 1999
oilspot,

Go to Red Sands (dunes) in El Paso (east side). That there is some real fun!

oilspot

Sep 11, 2006
I was cleaning up the bike and started looking at the shifter. The actual peg that sticks sideways is no more than 3/4 of an inch long and is slightly bent forward.
I'll try to remember the foot lifting thing. I may look around for a slightly larger (and not bent) shifter also.

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
If you have big feet you may have to raise the lever, so that you can get your toe under it easier. Don't ride with out the boot they WILL save your bacon from time to time. So yes they do protect your feet and legs. Wear the leg and shin guards too.

And nope, the rush never goes away! :cool: But like any addiction the more you do it, the shorter the "after glow" ;)

Top Bottom