Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
You will probably notice a new addition to the bottom of posts....
Warning Level, View Warning and Warn User.
(yearly members can't see "Warn User", although you can view warnings). Regular members can't see any of it.

Simple. If you see a post that you know the majority of members will be offended by, or that is just junk in general, you can "warn" the poster.

There are several levels of warnings, for spamming, multiple forum posts, insults, etc., etc. Each has a numeric value. When the member receives 50 "warning points", he/she will automatically be put on a read-only ban (can't post).

I trust you guys to use good judgement in helping us police DRN. We all know what we want from the board and the kinds of users that are a pain. Use this wisely. No joking around by issuing warnings to each other, there is a log that allows me to see who did what... I really would like to leave this function up and available to more than just the Admins/Mods.

One little issue now is that when the screen pops-up to warn a user, you'll need to put your cursor in the comment field (with or without a comment) and while the curser is still in that field, press enter (keyboard). This will make the warning go thru and you will see a confirmation.

The user will be notified and will know who warned them.

Let me know if you have any questions.

endosports

Jan 10, 2002
Question: Sometimes, as I am sure that you know I don't always think before I speak(post) and when I read what I post, I realize I shouldn't have opened my big mouth and put my foot in it. So here is the question: If your edit you orignal post is it still possible to be warned?

Last edited:

bscottr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 2001
Okie,
Will the member have an opportunity to get off probation (read only) if they “straighten up”? We will need to be very careful not to turn off a potential Support Team Member. I like it!

This question is somewhat related to Endo's question.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Interesting:think:.

endosports

Jan 10, 2002
Originally posted by Okie
Not sure exactly what you are asking, but... If you warn someone for a post, and they come back and edit it, the post will still show that the user edited it.

I was refering to posting and editing myself before I am warned can mods still issue warnings? And why just lifetimers? And can you expand on the numeric value of different warnings?

Not refering to me (because of being a broke/spamartist) but what about running off potential advertisers?

Sorry for racking your brain. :ugg:

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
This is what's there now, subject to change as more thought can be put into it / suggestions are made.

Spamming 2
Posting In Multiple Forums 2
Use The Search! Warning Level 2
Blatant Advertising 5
Private Messaging Abuse 5
Personal Insults 6
Disregard For Mods/Admin 8
****** Remarks 9
Trolling 7
Dishonesty - For Sale Forum 20

If a potential Advertiser get's up to 50 points, they are a pain in the ass anyway. No loss there. I don't care if Mr. Honda himself joins... he has to follow the same rules.

If you make a stupid post, leave it up for everyone to see it, then edit it to keep from getting "warned", you'll probably get a warning anyway. Mods can warn anyone, for any reason at any time. If I didn't trust their judgement, they wouldn't be mods.

Why lifer's ? Just a decision I made and not one I feel obligated to explain/defend.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Muwhuhahahaha! Now, what to do with all this newly realized POWER!!! :p

just kidding! Sounds like a good plan. Adds a little more accountability to one's posts.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
This sounds like a great idea. When we warn someone does an email get sent to the mod of that forum so they can delete or move the offending post?

I seem to always see the bad posts after the fact, especially since I'm usually only on during work (read during school time);)

endosports

Jan 10, 2002
In regards to my last post, I just wanted to explain my situation...I do intend on contributing to this site and do see the benefits of being involved in such a community. There has to be some process to keep people in check and offer contributers integrity for this service.

For me, I am starting out and money is tight and I want to commit to a year of ads but its is just not possible yet. Even if I did have the cash to throw down, my operation is not complete for me to start turning people away. I just want to make it known the (contributers to this site) STM that I am doing what I love and haven't made a dollar of profit through this site! Anything sold by me has been my cost or below. I have broke some of the rules here and I am sorry. If this warning system was in affect prior to my spamming posts it would have been helpful to keep me in line.
I can see the benefits of being involved here and I want to share my love for this site to all of my family and friends.

Thank you for you patience. :thumb:

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Would it not be better if we just reported the post to the forum mod, and let them take it for there. If 10 guys jump on a guy all in one go, how do you control the Warning Level.

Personally I liked it when I left it to Hank Hill to dish out bad mojo :p ;)

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
yeah, I saw that, still multiple warnings for the same post can occur.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
It is simple, so keep it simple, simple right?

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
OK, this is the web right, not real time processing, 2,3, 5 of us can check the warnings at one time, no warnings can appear, we decide to warn the perp, the person will receive all 5 warnings, yes ?. (sorry, I am thinking like a systems analyst now :ugg:, redundancy and duplication don't work in my systems design :think: !! ;) )

Originally posted by Okie
I suppose I could have made it idiot proof ......

seems I forgot about the genius factor here at DRN :eek: :moon:

I just checked the point system when clicking on 'warn user', there is nothing there for 'flagrant disregard for the rules' ie, political, religious etc. Also incorrect or useless info, A vs B, D faster than E etc

Last edited:

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
I just about P'd myslef :eek:, and then saw that it was a test ! :scream:

DRN Forums Warning Notification
BunduBasher,

You have been issued a warning by Okie on the due to Use The Search!.
You now have 2 Warning Points.
The ban limit is currently set to 50 Total Warning Points.

DRN Forums Staff.

I guess you could add a unique identifier to the warning !

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
^^^^^Lets not go there^^^^^^

whyzee

Never enough time !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 24, 2001
I've only had one post that made me mad enough to hit the '|Report post|' ... that was for a guy that had just taken someone in the 'For Sales'. The jerk was trying to scam again under a diff user name. Now that pissed me off. :|
As far as this system, the 100 or so life timers here have made an investment, like myself, and I think we can say it's our site. I know it's Okie's but in terms it's mine too. I don't want to see this go the way of other sites, support members having zero control, free riders turning it into a pit! And those who care go away in frustration, ... eventually, the site shuts down, ...no thank you, not here. I also don't want to see people getting ganged up on because of one or two stupid posts, stalking a new guy just waiting for him to screw up again, ... does that make since? This is the net, we are dirt bike riders, we come here to blow off steam, talk smack, do the imaginary tail whip we can't do on the track, ... and yes, get and give advice. Remember we are not best friends until we meet face to face. ;)
By the way, Okie, the Warning Level and View Warning are clearly visible but I don’t seem to have the Warn User function, not that I am in any hurry to use it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom